Question Random black screens with RX580

Feb 10, 2020
Hello,

This is my fourth GPU in my new machine, and the first brand new one. It works superlatively with gaming, really good graphics at temps that don't go over 78. Apart from the fact that monitor signal will suddenly be lost, at random, for around 5 seconds. This is obviously really annoying and can ruin game experiences, which is what I bought it for.

The all new machine it's in: EVGA 500w Bronze PSU, Asrock B450 Mobo, Ryzen 5 2600 with stock cooler (temps no higher than 55), M.2 SSD, 2x8GB DDR4 RAM, and the GPU in question is an XFX RX580 8gb. This machine has run other cards fine - an R290, a 750ti, and a faulty RX480, which was useless but didn't black screen on me.

What I've tried so far -

1. Reseating really carefully and firmly screwing in the GPU, trying both ends of the pci-e cable to power the GPU - no results
2 . Swapped the HDMI cable ends over - this seemed to resolve the issue for a while but it came back again. Note this is the same HDMI I used with other cards
3 Ran DDU to eradicate Nvidia and AMD drivers - no difference

The exact issue is: a very slight pop / crack can be heard from somewhere, possibly behind the monitor, and the signal will black out for up to five seconds, sometimes even approaching ten. This small noise will only occur once but the issue can occur several times during the first half hour of gaming, then seem to stop for a while. This issue hasn't replicated in Furmark, strangely.

So, do you think I've done everything I could reasonably be expected to do, or is this new card faulty?

thanks if you can help!

Feb 10, 2020
I think it's an EVGA 500w BR White, the ebay listing doesn't seem to have an exact model name or anything - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EVGA-500...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 .

To be fair though, I don't think it's going to be this PSU when it has worked perfectly well with other cards, and at any rate, I'm not shelling out over £50 for another one. It isn't a super hungry card, and PSU 'minimum' requirements are known to be overstated to avoid people with cheap chinese PSUs frying their cards.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The BR is not a good model . . and the RX580 draws more power than the 480, and MUCH more than the 750ti...

Is there another PSU known good that you can borrow?

Also, you'd probably be best shelling out MORE than £50, as the PSU is the most important part of the system.

Feb 10, 2020
Yes but my PSU still covers the minimum wattage necessary, and that's a high estimate. I don't have another PSU I'm afraid.

I guess that's a fair point, and possibly something I should have done at first, but I didn't.

Feb 10, 2020
I simply don't see how the PSU would be an issue when the same PSU has run an old Radeon 290X without any issue, a card which has a much higher power draw than a 580. I realise PSUs are your thing, based on your signature, so it's understandable you're biased, but I cannot source another.

Perhaps it is the PSU. I doubt it though

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
It's possible, though unlikely, and I would not trust it for the long term.

That said, I totally missed where you mentioned the R9 290/290x - yeah, those are 250-275 watt. Clearly I need to work on my "don't read too quickly" skills.

Feb 10, 2020
yeah, I think I'll just return the GPU, if it happens again with a new one (gonna try an Nvidia 1660 this time, not been that pleased with AMD's performance) then I'll start ripping the PC apart haha

thanks for taking the time though guys, I appreciate the effort!

Mar 23, 2020
these rx 5xx series have power problem or something is wrong with graphic or motherboard drivers.i have a rx 560 and same problem (random black screens)+ my its not working in pcie3 slot anymore :/ .im sure its not psu ive seen others with the same problem i hope someone help.

TRENDING THREADS