[SOLVED] random black screens

brandonlm

Prominent
Sep 19, 2019
I've been having issues with my pc where it just at very random times black screens and the only way to get them back on is to restart. My pc stays on during them. I've been trying to solve this issue for weeks and I am stumped. I've tried replacing the cables, the power supply, and just about everything I've seen online and its still happening. Any reply would be so much appreciated.

my benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/43271504

Solution
Try first putting the ram to 3000 MHz and see if it keeps doing. If so, download msi afterburner and downclock the card by pulling the core clock slide and vram all the way to the left and then slowly and gradually increase first the core then the vram to see if your issue happens at any point (don't go beyond the default settings when you opened afterburner).

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Tried different ports on the 3070? Does it happens during load or even in idle? Are you doing any sort of ocing/uvolting on the cpu? How are the temperatures looking? Is your bios up to date? Are the ram sticks in slot 2 and 4? Used ddu for drivers uninstall / reinstall cycles? Tried different version of the drivers? Also what model of psu did you get when you replaced.

If the pc still runs fine during those (like you can hear sounds and stuff like that) to me it sounds like a drivers/windows issue rather than a faulty component. If it was hardware you'd most likely get bsod or get stuck in a loop boot after hard forcing a restart. Have you tried a clean windows install or rolling back to a previous windows update?

Last edited:

brandonlm

Prominent
Sep 19, 2019
Tried different ports on the 3070? Does it happens during load or even in idle? Are you doing any sort of ocing/uvolting on the cpu? How are the temperatures looking? Is your bios up to date? Are the ram sticks in slot 2 and 4? Used ddu for drivers uninstall / reinstall cycles? Tried different version of the drivers? Also what model of psu did you get when you replaced.

If the pc still runs fine during those (like you can hear sounds and stuff like that) to me it sounds like a drivers/windows issue rather than a faulty component. If it was hardware you'd most likely get bsod or get stuck in a loop boot after hard forcing a restart. Have you tried a clean windows install or rolling back to a previous windows update?
I have tried different ports, it happens in idle and in game. left it on overnight and it did it while i was asleep. no overclocking, temps look good. ram sticks are good. I have tried ddu and different drivers. i got a 750 w psu and i had a 650 w before, so I don't think thats the problem. only thing I have not tried that you listed is updating bios and doing a clean windows install. Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it. Been trying to figure this thing out for 2 weeks now. very exhausted haha

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Then it's most definitely a software issue. I'd reinstall windows tbh, since you didn't try that. But when stuff like that happens in idle it's definitely a windows/drivers issue. And I'm talking a clean reinstall not simply reset windows.

brandonlm

Prominent
Sep 19, 2019
Thank you for the response, just an update.

Issue is still happening. I have taken it to micro center and they suggested a motherboard replacement which didn't work. They also said they tried the 3070 in another rig and it worked fine so it's not that (not sure how reliable they are though, considering they were wrong about the motherboard). I've tried replacing every part in the pc besides the ram but like you said it definitely sounds like a software issue. I also clean reinstalled windows and wiped my pc but its still happening. Not even sure where to go from here considering i have tried basically everything i could. Any other suggestions i would very much appreciate.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Do you have any overclock/undervolt running on your system? What happens if you remove xmp from your ram? Or maybe try to slightly downclock them to like 3000mhz and see what happens. Remove any overclock (if you have any from your rig also). If not, i don't care what microcenter says, it's definitely the card.

From there i'd suggest first downlclock the vram of the 3070 to the minimum and run a continous bench and raise the value of the ram little by little and see if at any point the blackscreen happens, same thing with the clock if nothing happens during the vram tryout. At that point, you'd know it's most definitely the card. And yeah tbh, i wouldn't trust a big chain like microcenter. Most often than not, they don't know wtf they're either doing or talking about. Why would they suggest a motherboard change to begin with when you can still hear the pc being active during the black screen lmao. Im sorry they made you spend money. Can't you take it to a smaller shop with actual people that know wtf they're doing? Or don't you have a friend/relative you can bring your 3070 to test on their rig?

Last edited:

brandonlm

Prominent
Sep 19, 2019
Do you have any overclock/undervolt running on your system? What happens if you remove xmp from your ram? Or maybe try to slightly downclock them to like 3000mhz and see what happens. Remove any overclock (if you have any from your rig also). If not, i don't care what microcenter says, it's definitely the card.

From there i'd suggest first downlclock the vram of the 3070 to the minimum and run a continous bench and raise the value of the ram little by little and see if at any point the blackscreen happens, same thing with the clock if nothing happens during the vram tryout. At that point, you'd know it's most definitely the card. And yeah tbh, i wouldn't trust a big chain like microcenter. Most often than not, they don't know wtf they're either doing or talking about. Why would they suggest a motherboard change to begin with when you can still hear the pc being active during the black screen lmao. Im sorry they made you spend money. Can't you take it to a smaller shop with actual people that know wtf they're doing? Or don't you have a friend/relative you can bring your 3070 to test on their rig?
only thing i have overclocked is the cpu from 2400 to 3200, would that be an issue? ever since reinstalling windows it has done it A LOT less for some reason, which doesn't really make sense.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
You meant the ram right? Because you have a 3700x and the base clock of that CPU is 3.6 ghz and it boosts up to 4.2 ghz.

In any case. Try without any overclock. If it comes back stable and you don't get any other black screens, try incrementing said overclock step by step and see if it happens at any point.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Try first putting the ram to 3000 MHz and see if it keeps doing. If so, download msi afterburner and downclock the card by pulling the core clock slide and vram all the way to the left and then slowly and gradually increase first the core then the vram to see if your issue happens at any point (don't go beyond the default settings when you opened afterburner).

Solution

brandonlm

Prominent
Sep 19, 2019
Okay I will try that and let you know what happens. Most likely will have to take the 3070 to nvidia and use the 3 year warranty because that seems like the problem for sure. At least I know to never take it to micro center again. Thank you for the replies man.

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
I've been having issues with my pc where it just at very random times black screens and the only way to get them back on is to restart. My pc stays on during them. I've been trying to solve this issue for weeks and I am stumped. I've tried replacing the cables, the power supply, and just about everything I've seen online and its still happening. Any reply would be so much appreciated.

my benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/43271504
I've said this in another post. If your PC just goes black screen, it's the GPU. What about the GPU? Overclocking.

IF you have it overclocked, lower it some or leave it at default speeds. I've had this happen to me many times. I believe it damages it over time (personally), so I would kick it back a little.

You've replaced cables, the PSU, and "just about everything I've seen online".... which would be... what? That wouldn't matter because it's a GPU issue.

See if you are overclocking. If you are, lower it or turn the overclocking off.

brandonlm

Prominent
Sep 19, 2019
I've said this in another post. If your PC just goes black screen, it's the GPU. What about the GPU? Overclocking.

IF you have it overclocked, lower it some or leave it at default speeds. I've had this happen to me many times. I believe it damages it over time (personally), so I would kick it back a little.

You've replaced cables, the PSU, and "just about everything I've seen online".... which would be... what? That wouldn't matter because it's a GPU issue.

See if you are overclocking. If you are, lower it or turn the overclocking off.
I've never overclocked it before which is why I didn't think it was the gpu, and it happens in idle as well which made me think it was a software issue. Thank you for the reply.