Question Random blackouts through laptop dock

Mr3dPHD

Prominent
Jan 6, 2020
So at work I have a Dell laptop which connects to my two ViewSonic monitors via a Dell docking station. Everything works fine with setup, except for the fact that every five to ten minutes, one monitor will shut off for about three seconds, then turn back on. It seems completely random which one turns off, and it doesn't seem to favor one over the other. It's super irritating. Does anyone know what could be causing this? All components are brand new (well, a couple months old at this point).

Lutfij

Titan
Model of your office's Dell laptop as well as the docking station? Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your laptop's motherboard. While the laptop is powered down, inspect the connector for the docking station in case it has any dirt or debris.

Might want to also state which OS and it's version you're working with on your laptop. If you've got a docking station akin to the one used for EliteBook's, then make sure your drivers for the chipset and the iGPU are up to date.

Replace the dock, last several generations of Dells and their USB C/thunderbolt docks have been horrible with reliability. I have seen docks bad out of the box new and have probably 30 of them that had to be replaced or tossed because they were out of warranty. Using USB C for docking stations is very unreliable, no systems I have seen with that design are nearly as reliable compared to the old larger bottom dock ports.

Reactions: weibo