Random blue screen appears (Not BSOD)

salickramnikhil

Prominent
Sep 20, 2018
Hey guys!
Im experiencing an issue with my pc, I randomly get blue screens, but not what you think.
It isnt a blue screen of death, My entire screen just turns completely dark blue (like navy blue).
All applications continue to run in the background and no writing is displayed on this screen.
It happens at most twice a month and my pc is running for most of the day, every day.
The only way to get it back to normal is to completely hold down the power button and restart.

If it makes a difference what screen I use, this current rig is connected to a 55" Samsung 4k TV for mostly media and gaming. The issue has persisted with a normal 19" samsung lcd monitor, so we can rule the screen out as an issue.

This pc has not given this issue in its last 3 years of use, it has only started doing this since July.

Should I be worried about this (and how worried should I be?).
What do you think could be the root of this issue?

Specs:
128GB Samsung Evo SSD (Operating System)
2TB Segate HDD (Games)
ASUS HD7870 directcu ii 2gb 256bit
i5 4590 @ 3.30 GHz
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 2400 MHz
ASUS H81 - Gamer motherboard
Corsair Hxi Series 1000w PSU
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Your help would be highly appreciated :)

Edit: forgot to add temps
GPU idle is around 32 C and under load is around 75 C
CPU idle is 38 - 42 C and under load (cinebench) is around 73 C maximum

Solution

You could also install the card into another system to see if the problem follows it.

salickramnikhil

Prominent
Sep 20, 2018

That was the first thing I checked unfortunately, the connections are secure on both the gpu and tv and the tv mode and source is set to pc and hdmi. This issue also persisted on my old school 19" dvi monitor.

salickramnikhil

Prominent
Sep 20, 2018

The driver is currently 18.5.1 I rolled back the driver from 18.9.2 the last time it did this to me (two weeks ago) as I suspected a driver issue too

salickramnikhil

Prominent
Sep 20, 2018

Its the GHz edition (OC) I will try the other HDMI port (or maybe my DVI to HDMI adapter and see where it takes me) My hopes arent high though because this issue has persisted through my DVI port too.

salickramnikhil

Prominent
Sep 20, 2018

Will do, thank you for your help. I'll report back within the next week to say whether this issue has occurred again.

salickramnikhil

Prominent
Sep 20, 2018

Plugged the GPU into my brothers rig, 5 minutes later while on youtube the issue came along again. Guess now I'll have to create a thread on a gpu that wont bottleneck with my system.
Thank you for your advice kind sir

I wouldn't invest more than a gtx 1060 6gb for that system.