Question Random Blue Screens, Black Screens, Brown Screens.

paraskevidism

Commendable
Aug 14, 2017
my specs:
RAM: 16 GB @ 3200Mhz (2x8GB)
GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT NITRO+ (8GB)
Proccesor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x 3.70Ghz
Motherboard: Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING
System Type: 64-bit Operating System
Operating System: Windows 10 Home
PSU: evga 650 gold.

So as you can see in the title, i get blue screens, black screens etc. more often than I should. I will explain further how the black screen occurs.

So i play Forza horizon 4, for about an hour and it turns off into a black screen. The pc might completely freeze, or might just close the game and fine. Other times, just blue screen.

I thought it was the RAM. I had 1x16GB 2400hz. I swapped it, but still happens.

I thought it was the GPU. I ran multiple benchmarks just for gpu load and it didn't crash.

One more thing to mention that what made me think it might be the gpu is: When i get a black screen (pc crash) I get the no signal message on my monitors and one of the times the fand started to rev up.

But now, I am starting to think it might be my PSU. I've had this PSU for 3.5 Years.

Last blue screen message:
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

any thoughts?

Feb 19, 2020
Are you overclocked at all? Go back to stock.
Is there an error code you can catch when it crashes? 0x000something like that.
Did this start recently, or has it been going on for awhile?

And is there a reason you only have 1 stick of memory, instead of 2? I ask because Ryzens simply do much better with 2 sticks, and If you only have 8GB, It's possible you may be running out of physical RAM.
Are you able to run any the tests under OCCT with or without crashing?

I'd be surprised if it's your psu though, not impossible. The symptoms seem indicative of a "Memory Issue", and memory is easy to test so let's start there.
Grab OCCT and run the GPU, Memory, and Power tests for about 10 minutes each, and note any crashes, failures or uneventful runs. Try to make note of the temperature, clocks, and fan speeds, and kindly report back here what you find. I'm interested in both system memory and GPU memory, it could be either.
While you're at it, make sure all your drivers are up to date, and then triple check them, to be safe.

paraskevidism

Commendable
Aug 14, 2017
Are you overclocked at all? Go back to stock.
Is there an error code you can catch when it crashes? 0x000something like that.
Did this start recently, or has it been going on for awhile?

And is there a reason you only have 1 stick of memory, instead of 2? I ask because Ryzens simply do much better with 2 sticks, and If you only have 8GB, It's possible you may be running out of physical RAM.
Are you able to run any the tests under OCCT with or without crashing?

I'd be surprised if it's your psu though, not impossible. The symptoms seem indicative of a "Memory Issue", and memory is easy to test so let's start there.
Grab OCCT and run the GPU, Memory, and Power tests for about 10 minutes each, and note any crashes, failures or uneventful runs. Try to make note of the temperature, clocks, and fan speeds, and kindly report back here what you find. I'm interested in both system memory and GPU memory, it could be either.
While you're at it, make sure all your drivers are up to date, and then triple check them, to be safe.
okay, I will try this out. By the way, I have 2x8GB @3300Mhz ram. I used to have only 1 RAM stick 16GB. I did a RAM test and it's fine, what test exactly should I run to see if it's gpu? I also haven't overclocked anything.

paraskevidism

Commendable
Aug 14, 2017
Also, These are also some More blue screens messages that I got:
IRQL_NOT LESS OR EQUAL
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE TRAP

No error codes. it is also a fairly new thing, just not sure if it started to appear after the gpu or cpu. I changed within little time.
I also only deleted windows just from my asd and re installed it there without touching my hdd data, could that be it? Thanks

Feb 6, 2020
Since you have a 5700XT it's very likely the driver problems other Navi owners are running into. AMD have acknowledged the issue as far as I know but there's no definite fix yet.

paraskevidism

Commendable
Aug 14, 2017
UPDATE: I swapped my gpu and got a blue screen again with the message:
ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMMORY
Which is kinda odd. I will swap my slots from 2/4 to 1/3 and see. Maybe its the cpu