[SOLVED] Random Blue Screens on Startup

Jan 5, 2019
Before I begin, I have looked quite extensively through this site to find a similar issues and have tried many things prior to asking you guys. So I've been trying to fix a computer for a friend of mine. He was simply surfing the web when it crashed the first time. I'm having multiple blue screens the moment the windows load icon appears. I can get into BIOS just fine but cannot get to any point where I'm able to boot in safe mode. I have a WORKING (tested on my pc) recovery usb of windows to try and do a clean install. Here's a list of things I have done to try and fix this issue,
-boot without a hdd or sd
-boot without just hdd or just sd
-replaced the entire motherboard
-ran memtest with 0 faults
-tried working RAM in place of current RAM
-tried a WORKING (tested on personal pc) new psu
-tried a WORKING gpu
the only thing I have not done is try a known working cpu simply because i don't have a 1151 6th or 7th gen cpu >.<
I can't seem to find the long stickied list that was posted on here that I went through to rule out other possibilities. I just can't seem to understand how replacing so many components can still result in the same issue. Some of the blue screen errors,
-driver_irql_not_less_or_equal
-critical process died
-attempted execute of non execute memory
-page fault in nonpaged area

I'm at wits end of what could possibly be wrong. Before going and purchasing a new cpu, i was trying to know with certainty there is nothing I am missing.

Thanks for reading everyone

Solution
what motherboard is it now? If its new, secure boot shouldn't be on but it might be, if you booting off the USB you shouldn't get any errors... so it makes me think its ignoring the USB and just trying the boot drive.

How far into installer can you get?

Does this work?
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

as its one way yo backup anything on C you want to save

if you can get to command prompt above, and have backed everything up. try these commands...

Colif

Win 11 Master
what are specs of PC?

is it always those 4 or are they just examples?
3 of them can be drivers
1 (critical process died) can stop windows from booting as it normally relates to files windows needs to run.

replaced motherboard? with same board or different model? As thats not going to help it boot if its different board.

tried a clean install?

Jan 5, 2019
thank you so much for replying! I hope I'm responding correctly but unfortunately the board he had is unavailable. I was trying to rule out the board because he's not so experienced with computers and I thought he could have possibly had a short on the board. I can boot it could more times but those are the ones I've seen the last 15 or so times. I tried to do a clean install but when I have the recovery usb plugged in, it tries to load and then blue screens. The same thing happens when the hdd is set as the boot device.

If you can run memtest86 for a full pass with NO errors, your pc hardware is likely working ok and the issue is with windows.

Since you are willing to do a clean install, download the latest windows directly from Microsoft to a usb stick and try a clean install from there.

Protect whatever you value first and install windows on the only device connected, preferably a ssd.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what motherboard is it now? If its new, secure boot shouldn't be on but it might be, if you booting off the USB you shouldn't get any errors... so it makes me think its ignoring the USB and just trying the boot drive.

How far into installer can you get?

Does this work?
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

as its one way yo backup anything on C you want to save

if you can get to command prompt above, and have backed everything up. try these commands afterwards to wipe hdd and try to install on a blank drive as that will confirm if problem is just windows
In command prompt
type diskpart and press enter
type list disk and press enter
this shows all drives available, DVD/USB and hdd, make note of hdd number
type Select disk X - where X is the number of the hdd you want to wipe, change X to that number and press enter
once the drive you want to wipe is chosen, type Clean
exit cmd, turn off PC, unplug and then remove any extra hdd before reinstalling win 10 on boot drive.

Solution
Jan 5, 2019

I added comments in bold to your questions ^

Jan 5, 2019

This is where the issue is. I'm trying to do a clean install and I can't get through the installer on a usb. I've tested it on my personal pc and it boots from it just fine with no errors. I've tried unplugging the sdd and hdd with booting via usb installer but still no luck. I can't seem to figure it out because I can't get through to safe mode or anything

Jan 5, 2019

Thanks! I couldn't seem to find software like this but this is perfect! I will try this tonight and update with the results