[SOLVED] Random Blue Screens When Playing Certain Games

Jan 8, 2020
I built my first computer about 8 months ago in May 2019, and ever since I have been having issues with blue screens and I have tried every possible solution short of replacing parts. I don't think I have any issues with any of the components, I think there is some sort of software issue going on, and no overheating either. These crashes happen when playing games like Far Cry 5, Devil May Cry 5, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, etc. It seems to mostly be newer games rather than older ones, and I've tried turning down graphics to no avail. Games that work fine are Overwatch, Destiny 2, and Borderlands 3. At this point I am tired of the endless blue screens that seem to have no fix. I used WhoCrashed, and on the last blue screen, this is what it said.

On Wed 1/8/2020 9:00:27 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: hardware.sys (hardware)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFF8C41EA00D166, 0xFFFFFA0568541BD0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: hardware.sys .
Google query: hardware.sys SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

My system is:
GeForce RTX 2070
i7-9700k
16gb 3200mhz ram
ASUS ROG STRIX z390-e gaming

Any help would be appreciated as I have no idea what else to do.

Solution
complete memory dump size can be several gb
Minidumps are normally not more than a few mb, so yes, its better to swap to small ones as my friend who needs to upload the dumps only has slow internet and I don't want him taking days to dl 1 dump :)

Tried running memtest?
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

all of the errors can be drivers or memory.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Jan 8, 2020
I have done everything on that link and I don't even have most of that software that the article says to disable, and my blue screens are always random its rarely the same one twice in a row. The most common ones are driver irql not less or equal, irql not less or equal, system service exception, and page fault in non-paged area, and i have tried basically every fix I have found for those.

Colif

Win 11 Master
complete memory dump size can be several gb
Minidumps are normally not more than a few mb, so yes, its better to swap to small ones as my friend who needs to upload the dumps only has slow internet and I don't want him taking days to dl 1 dump :)

Tried running memtest?
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

all of the errors can be drivers or memory.

Solution