Random boot failures, began following secondary hard drive replacement

Sep 23, 2018
EDIT: Somehow this was posted into answers, don't know how that happened. It was supposed to be in the forum.

First of all, this is my first time ever coming here. I became a bit frustrated when I encountered the same issues as this guy:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3728139/experience-creating-login-tom-hardware.html
Please fix these problems. They don't make me feel great when I can't even sign in because the message is not specific. Thank you.

Anyway...

A few months ago I had to deal with a failing hard drive, which was my secondary drive (letter D). I was able to buy two new drives of identical size and manufacturer and use Clonezilla to clone the failing one to one of the new ones without issue. My computer seems fine in regards to the new drive, everything so far is working as it should before the initial reported failure.

A week or so after that, I was suddenly greeted with a BIOS message "boot failure detected." The full message is: "The system has experienced a boot failure possibly due to incorrect configuration. Previous settings in BIOS may not be compatible with current hardware state."

This is troubling me because my secondary drive is only for files and programs and stuff, the OS is on my primary drive (letter C) which is still running fine, as far as I know.

The two original drives were bought at the same time. They are both from 2013. I have tried adjusting the boot order and checked all the connections. Not sure what else to try since it's so random. I could go weeks with no issue and suddenly one day it might hang after the BIOS screen and then show the blinking underscore for a few seconds and give me the boot failure message. If I enter the BIOS and then just immediately exit it, the computer boots fine. If I restart, it will usually boot fine. It appears to be a random failure from a cold boot.

I fear that the primary drive which has not failed yet is on its way out, so I have already cloned it to the other new one bought (since I bought two together). There's not much else I can say.

The old drives are/were TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 (2TB) and the new drives are both TOSHIBA P300 (2TB).

Specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Intel Core i7-4820K Quad-Core 3.70 GHz
16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/1866MHz Quad Channel Memory
GIGABYTE X79-UP4 ATX
AMD Radeon R9 270X 2GB GDDR5
2TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (2x)
Standard 80 Plus Certified PSU 800 Watts

Sep 23, 2018
The CMOS battery is as old as the computer is, from 2013 and I know for a fact it's never been changed. That's interesting now that you mention the CMOS battery, the other day I tried to turn on my computer and the button didn't work on the first press. Could these issues be related? I suppose changing the battery is in order.