Question Random boot sector corruptions

n99th

Reputable
May 9, 2015
This problem started a few weeks ago : PC randomly freezes (maybe once in a week or more), becomes completely unresponsive and has to be powered off. After that windows can't be booted. It tries to repair the system but always fails. The only thing that helps is plugging in an USB drive with windows image and entering these commands in command prompt:
bootrec /FixMbr
bootrec /FixBoot
bootrec /RebuildBcd
After this windows starts working. I've tried formatting my SSD and performing a clean installation a few times but still the problem persists. I've checked SSD with Samsung Magician and it's healthy. Also ran Windows Memory Diagnostics tool to check RAM and it had no errors. I tried using memtest86 but my PC just can't boot it. (boot priority is correct and it tries booting from flash drive but ends up stuck on a black screen with a flickering underscore). My RAM usage seems to be high most of the time (85%+). And after reinstalling Windows a new partition appeared out of the blue. It seems to be from my SSD and is only 500mb. Any ideas what is going on with my PC?

Specs:
Motherboard : P7P55 LX (LGA1156)
CPU: Intel Core i7 870 @ 2.93GHz
Storage:
465GB Seagate ST3500418AS ATA Device (SATA ),
232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SATA (SSD)) (Windows installation)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS