[SOLVED] Random BSOD after changing PC parts - SystemServiceException

HousePlantParty

Prominent
Jun 6, 2019
Hey all!

Struggling with some weird BSOD issues since upgrading a few of my PC components, below is what I'm currently running with the upgrades mentioned in bold, and also what it was replacing.

Specs:

• Motherboard: Asrock B250M-HDV
  • CPU: i5-7600k
  • Graphics Card: Asus 1060 6GB
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB RGB (was previously 2x4GB of standard black Corsair Vengeance RAM)
  • PSU: Corsair CX450M
  • Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 250GB (with Windows 10 OS on) - 1TB Seagate Barracuda Mechanical Drive - 1TB Sabrent M.2 SSD
  • Fans: 3x LL120 Corsair RGB fans (was originally 3 standard case fans)
  • CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RGB - the one with 2 fans (was originally a Cooler Master Hyper 212)
During this upgrade I also reset my PC, deleting all files but keeping my OS.

Upon swapping parts, everything booted fine and it all seemed well, but then, as PC's do... we had a few issues!

Problems:

I've logged every time my PC has blue screened, which has been a total of 6 times.
4/6 of these crashes have occurred while using google chrome, most noticeably while watching YouTube videos.
The other 2 times were once while I was typing in Discord, and the other crash was a freeze up while playing Destiny which didn't actually result in a BSOD, but did still generate a crash log in my event viewer.

Speaking of which, I've taken a look at the event viewer and also used the "WhoCrashed?" programme to take a look at these logs to understand them a bit better.

The BSOD's themselves have shown a SystemServiceException error.
And in event viewer I've seen critical errors about Kernel-Power (Event ID 41), Task Category 63.

WhoCrashed says 4/6 were supposedly a typical software driver bug, and not likely to be caused by hardware.
Whereas the other 2 times it seemed to cite a case of memory corruption, such as faulty RAM/overheating or a buggy driver.

Here is the conclusion it gave me:

"6 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 451.67 , NVIDIA Corporation)"

What I've Tried:

Since this problem is fairly new, I've only done a few things, which are:
  • I've been into my basic Windows settings and updated anything that was stacked there.
  • Using Windows memory diagnostic tool I've tested my RAM, which has come back fine on the 2 occasions I tried it.
I had been wondering if the issue could be that my PSU is struggling with the load of these new things, however most of these crashes have occurred while the system isn't under much load. I've been gaming ever since I upgraded the parts and it's seemed fine, if a little choppier than usual, which I'm not sure if is linked or just in my head.

Throughout this time I've been running MSI afterburner to check my temperatures (celsius) which sit at:
  • GPU idle: 36-40
  • GPU load (gaming): 72
  • CPU idle: 33-37
  • CPU load (gaming): 55
The GPU usage seems even, and so too do the watts, which makes me think the PSU is fine? Since it can handle the system under the stress of gaming.

My other thought is that potentially some wires could be getting squashed in the back of my case as getting everything to fit back there was fairly tight. I'm thinking of running my PC open for a couple of days to see if the crashes continue, however I doubt this could be the issue.

I know this is a long post but I'm just trying to explain everything fully :) Really hope someone can help me as it's a bit of a weird one, and I don't want to be chasing the wrong solution for days!

Aug 10, 2020
Why are you using an Nvidia driver for an Asus graphics card? Mobo's BIOS scans for ID on the bios PnP bus storing VEN_ and DEV_ numbers in ESCD memory area on the PCI bus. Nvidia builds chips and sells video cards. Nvidia gives reference designs to the card makers that buy chips. Nvidia then upgrades its reference design to improve performance, making the circuit for Nvidias driver slightly different. Nvidia notes that they are not responsible for problems caused by using Nvidia drivers with non-Nvidia hardware. "Well they usually work."

Aug 10, 2020
Could you run this tool that collects information needed to look into your crashes, and upload the zip to onedrive, google drive or whichever similar service you prefer and post a share link.
https://www.sysnative.com/forums/pages/bsodcollectionapp/

@Shjacks55, I don't think ASUS provides drivers for GPUs in custom build PCs or anything, do they?
See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_configuration_space
Linux faqs have tables of devices vs their IDs. Hardware makers like Asus must create drivers for their own hardware. Alternative is to use PC standards like VESA (basic commands to video cards) or USBVideo. Your bios can boot from a USB stick because modern bios supports USB Mass Storage standard. (Note. Intel published an all 3 volt reference design for a chipset, and ASUS built an MB from it. Except hard drives used 5 volts and failed on the ASUS MB. Intel itself made MBs with 5 volt power without problems.

Aug 10, 2020
All nice and interesting, but it doesn't change that, as far as I know, ASUS doesn't provide drivers for their hardware in custom build PCs.
Perhaps my bad, I stopped using ASUS to build systems awhile ago. They used to bundle a CD with motherboard chip drivers with their retail boxed motherboards. Ditto with their retail video (etc.) upgrade boards. Those were downloadable from their site. If you buy OEM parts from a distributor then you are the PC manufacturer responsible for support and drivers. The distributor is usually cool with supplying drivers. Some hardware vendors require end user registration and oem version product ID cannot be registered. ASUS were pretty snooty about their MBs' flaws, from my experience with an OS vendor. But their point that the MB is design for a specific environment. Tom's should have an MB fallout chart. Rem FIC? Their MBs had an overall 25% fallout rate.