Random bsod, distortions, crashes

elkalibre

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
well.. i start having random BSoDs, screen distortions, and most of the programs are crashing (google chrome, game clients, MSE, MalwareBytes).

the screen distortions look like this

btw thats not the actual pic of my desktop. its just similar. lol. but not that exaggerated.

but when i point my cursor on the distorted portion, it goes away.

i have this problem for more than a month already, i didnt try to fix it because i dont have the time yet. college stuff. lol

need help. please be more specific on the steps on what i need to do. im not that good with computers. lol

i got a ASUS k53sv-sx803 laptop. i7-64bit with 6gig ram (windows 7)

Spoiler... I do not think that word means what you think it means :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoiler_(media)

Anyway, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but your GPU is screwed. Have you been overclocking it? Since your laptop is using discrete graphics (not integrated into the motherboard/CPU), it should be an easy fix for Asus if it's still under warranty.

And is that a Windows 7 beta?

elkalibre

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

omg u sure its the GPU? O.O

windows 7 ultimate btw.

Nafryti

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
you been using your laptop on your fluffy bed comforter havent you, yeah, you fried your GPU, never use laptops on fluffy surfaces as they will choke their ventilation and ultimately fry them.

it is evident that it is your GPU, you say it only goes away when you mouse over it, that is because the GPU is processing that area differently than before because new data is there, the mouse pointer.

i did some googling for a replacement card for you and i did not find anything, doesn't seem to have a solution. and since it is discontinued by ASUS i don't think it is still under warranty, you best bet would be to either sell it cheap, or keep it for parts.

next time keep it on the night stand.

on a side note:
this is the nVidia GFX card... you might just be able to circumvent this issue by uninstalling the drivers and using the basic VGA driver, you wont even be able to play Solitaire afterwards but at least you'll have your computer running.

elkalibre

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

i never use my laptop on my bed. like seriously. if i did, i would put a book under it. one more thing, if i burned my GPU, i think i should not see anything on my screen. (i think)

Either GPU or RAM, probably the GPU though. Knowing the BSOD stop code/error message would help narrow this down. [0x116 or 0x117, the TDR BSOD's, would indicate GPU].

Also could be overheating. Can't rule that out at this stage.

elkalibre

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

got this using bluescreenview

RDVJ6.png

You are correct that a fully dead GPU wouldn't output anything (infact it wouldn't even boot, in the same way that a desktop system without a graphics card won't boot) but some part of the graphics system is definitely dying. It's possible that there's a problem with the PCI-E slot on the motherboard or even the PCI bus itself, but more likely it is the GPU itself. Are you able to get it repaired/replaced under warranty?

gamerk316 - impressed with that error code knowledge! My work laptop periodically blue screens (just did 5 mins ago in fact) due to the inability of the crappy AMD graphics to run a second monitor for more than a couple of hours and the code was indeed a 16 after many, many 0s.

elkalibre

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

havent yet. im 3 hours away from the place where i bought this laptop (my hometown). gonna be back on my hometown in like 17days. by the way, are u sure that the warranty will cover it 100%?

one more thing, the screen distortions isnt my only problem, im getting blue screens and crashing applications.

Not 100% sure at all, but it's definitely worth a try. Hopefully Asus will be cool about it. GPU death would account for your other problems - many other things could cause those problems, but the frame corruption you're seeing is specifically graphics-related.

Nafryti

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Your GPU/Mobo is going bad, the only explanation to this is over heating, laptops are known for epicly over heating, you must regularly clean their ventilation out by opening it up and canned air and vacuum them out.

As i stated before your laptop is discontinued and therefore no longer under manufacturer warranty, MAYBE still under warranty by the distributor but you may be stuck with a brick soon.

Kamikazi2142 is right that overheating can damage hardware, though it's not the only possible cause. Have you done any overclocking on it? I'd always tend to buy and recommend nVidia hardware, though it does seem to be more prone to dying a horrible death (often, long before it should do).

The GeForce 8800 series were notorious for displaying this kind of artefacting (and BSODs and crashing to solid colour screens) briefly before dying completely. They had used a new (cheaper) solder material to attach components to the board, a solder material that breaks down after 18-24 months use. There was actually a huge class action lawsuit against from all the businesses whose computers were packing up as a result of it. Course they didn't give me a thing for my 8800GTX dying or my brother's 8800GTS!

Nafryti

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

have you tried baking you and your brothers 8800's? i baked my roommates EVGA 8800GTX and it works again! however it needs a new cooler as for some reason the fan hardly spins anymore (NO i didn't bake it with the cooling assembly attached :p ) i am thinking of liquid cooling this nuclear reactor of heat i currently have it stored away in my desk wrapped up in anti static plastic that a motherboard came in, until i can afford a liquid cooler for it, then i'm installing it in a PC as a gift to a friend, granted the temps are reasonable.