Question Random BSOD during periods of no user input

May 10, 2021
Got a weird one. Computer keeps BSOD when I let it sit for a bit. If I leave it without youtube or something playing, after between 2 and 10 minutes, it will BSOD. This applies even if I have a game running if I'm not doing anything (happened multiple times when I walk away while FFXIV is running, has happened when nothing is open, basically it seems to be happening any time the computer is going for a few minutes without input... Except if I have youtube playing, where it seems to be fine to be left alone for some reason.) As long as I am actively using the computer, it is fine. Sleep also borks it. At first I assumed it was a driver issue, because it happened after I updated some drivers, but I have since rolled all of them back and issue persists. I have tried playing with power management, doesn't do anything. My guess at this rate is hardware issue, but I figured I'd ask if anyone has seen similar issues.

Error code for BSOD are usually Critical Process Died, but I had 1 incident of Unexpected Store Exception.

Computer is fairly new, only like 6 months old at best. All the parts were new for it, and everything worked fine until about 3 days ago.

Build is i7-10700K
GPU: MSi RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio
Mobo: MSi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi
Memory is 4x Corsair Vengeance RPG Pro 8 gig DDR4 3200 (16-18-18-36 timing)
storage is Samsung 970 EVO plus 1TB M.2
PSU is EVGA G5 Series 850W 80+ Gold

My gut says issue is the SSD is failing, but chance of memory failing. However, I'm gonna pass it on to the gurus of Tom's Hardware for advice.

Edit: Ran some tests (or tried to in some cases), tweaked some stuff. Appears to have been the sound driver, since when I rolled it back, problem went away completely.

Last edited:

Darkbreeze

Retired Mod
Power off. Pull the graphics card completely out of the motherboard and connect your display to one of the outputs on the motherboard, in order to use the integrated graphics provided by the CPU. Power on and boot into Windows. See if the system does the same thing without the graphics card installed. If it does, put it back like it was and we can move on to other things such as:

BIOS version?

Trying only two DIMMs installed, and asking whether all four DIMMs came together in one package or were actually two or more memory kits being used together?

Whether you've run Memtest86 on all DIMMs in use, both as a group and individually?

Whether the problem happens ONLY in Windows, or also in the BIOS or other non-Windows programs like various flavors of bootable Linux distributions such as Ubuntu?

Disabling hibernation and the hybrid sleep/fast restart mode.

And so on.............

ASK THE COMMUNITY