[SOLVED] random BSOD followed by a restart

NASSIM_1

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
pretty much the title. i have random blue screen followed by restart while gaming or just while being idle.

pec are:
hp laptop
intel i5 4gen
nvidia 820m
8 gig ram (ddr3)
win7
i stopped my pc from restarting after the blue screen to read it. this what it looks like:
View: https://imgur.com/a/waGDb0i

could this have anything to do with the ram ? i intalled a 4 gig ram stick and the problem started happening right around that time.

Solution
Hi Nassim,
Thanks, yes model of the laptop.
what are the specs on the new ram? what are the specs on the ram you replaced? same brand?
Laptop ram sometimes has easy access (e.g. two screws to open a slot), other times, sounds like your case, other working bits need to be dissasembled (cables disconnected etc) to get access to the ram - in which case, it's possible you may have failed to reconnect something and/or broken it.
Let us know how you go.
All the best

ok, just a quick update to close this thread.
it turned out that the ram was indeed the problem. i didn't do the memtest but i replaced the ram and i've been using my laptop for a week now without a single crash or BSOD.
thanks random walk for the assistance!
D

Deleted member 2871437

Hi,
Exact make of laptop?
Could be due to the ram. Have you tried memtest86? Have you checked the ram is correctly seated?
Did you check if the ram is compatible with your laptop?
Did you mess around with anything else when you changed the ram?

All the best

NASSIM_1

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
Hi,
Exact make of laptop?
Could be due to the ram. Have you tried memtest86? Have you checked the ram is correctly seated?
Did you check if the ram is compatible with your laptop?
Did you mess around with anything else when you changed the ram?

All the best
what do you mean by make of laptop? are you perhaps talking about the model ?
no i have not tried memtest86
i don't know how to check if the ram i compatible with my laptop
i usually disassemble my whole laptop so i can access the ram socket but i don't know if that counts as "messing around"
i will try this test that you suggested and will change ram and get back to you.
thanky you for the quick response.

D

Deleted member 2871437

what do you mean by make of laptop? are you perhaps talking about the model ?
no i have not tried memtest86
i don't know how to check if the ram i compatible with my laptop
i usually disassemble my whole laptop so i can access the ram socket but i don't know if that counts as "messing around"
i will try this test that you suggested and will change ram and get back to you.
thanky you for the quick response.
Hi Nassim,
what are the specs on the new ram? what are the specs on the ram you replaced? same brand?
Laptop ram sometimes has easy access (e.g. two screws to open a slot), other times, sounds like your case, other working bits need to be dissasembled (cables disconnected etc) to get access to the ram - in which case, it's possible you may have failed to reconnect something and/or broken it.
Let us know how you go.
All the best

NASSIM_1

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
Hi Nassim,
Let us know how you go.
All the best

ok, just a quick update to close this thread.
it turned out that the ram was indeed the problem. i didn't do the memtest but i replaced the ram and i've been using my laptop for a week now without a single crash or BSOD.
thanks random walk for the assistance!

Solution