Question Random BSOD - Memory Management Error

Jan 24, 2023
Hi guys, in the past few days i've been keep getting random BSOD for some period.
Today I tried to read the Dump file using WinDbg but honestly I couldnt understand much, at first I thought the hdd was dying but then crystaldisk and tools like that told me that's still doing ok (also because we changed it "recently") and in the past this happened to me with the wifi dongle driver but I dont feel like this is the case tho.

I'm leaving the drive link to the dump file (either way I can also paste the whole file content here) HERE

I'd like to understand what's the reason behind these BSOD and maybe how to fix it. Thank you so much for reading my post and eventually helping me out 🙏
(Since is not my personal computer I preferred to ask here and not digging around my system tho)

Hi guys, in the past few days i've been keep getting random BSOD for some period.
Today I tried to read the Dump file using WinDbg but honestly I couldnt understand much, at first I thought the hdd was dying but then crystaldisk and tools like that told me that's still doing ok (also because we changed it "recently") and in the past this happened to me with the wifi dongle driver but I dont feel like this is the case tho.

I'm leaving the drive link to the dump file (either way I can also paste the whole file content here) HERE

I'd like to understand what's the reason behind these BSOD and maybe how to fix it. Thank you so much for reading my post and eventually helping me out 🙏
(Since is not my personal computer I preferred to ask here and not digging around my system tho)
How old is the system?
Memory error is RAM related

Jan 24, 2023
How old is the system?
Memory error is RAM related

Didn't try yet with Memtest but earlier today when I used the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool it didnt find any error on memories.

I'm not actually able to tell you precisely how old is it, I'm pretty sure it's old tho as technology because it has some DDR3 but it hasn't been used much and some of the hardware got changed during the last 2 years (storage, psu and vga)

this error does not mean that there is something wrong with your RAM. it means that there is something wrong with the data stored in the RAM.

in this particular case windows wrote some info to your hard drive pagefile.sys but when it read it back into RAM it had been modified so windows called a bugcheck. the internal error code indicated a CRC error. (most likely a hardware issue with the storage)
With a machine as old as yours (last bios update in 2014) you would be looking for the drive to be failing and you should run something like crystaldiskinfo.exe to read the smart data to see how much drive life you have left.

most likely the system read info into ram with out any error. later the memory manager saved the data from the RAM back to virtual memory (pagefile.sys) later the windows memory manager needed the data again and read if from virtual memory (pagefile.sys) and got a CRC error on the read and called the bugcheck. This would be consistent with a failing cluster on the drive where the pagefile.sys is stored. delete the pagefile.sys and the system will be force to reread the drive on the next boot. this will allow clusters from the old pagefile.sys to be marked as bad so they can not be used again.
(windows does this as a background process during system idle time)

The following might help but most likely your drive health is low:
  • turn off the system virtual memory, reboot and turn it back on. this will dump the pagefile.sys and create a new one.
  • update your intel storage drivers, yours are old (from 2017)
you can try to install directly from intel:Intel® Driver & Support Assistant
(error in the intel storage driver could cause this error)

if you have a old SSD drive, it might need a firmware update. less likely since you would have been getting more bugchecks or system lockups.

remove this intel driver software:
Intel (R) Smart Connect software isctd64.sys
it is from 2012 and is no longer supported.

update your network driver from your motherboard vendor if you can.
yours is from 2015 (unrelated to this problem)

if you can, update the bios and motherboard drivers to the most current version.
(unrelated to this problem)

system info:
BIOS Version P1.40
BIOS Release Date 07/29/2014
Manufacturer ASRock
Product H97 Pro4
Processor Family ceh - Intel Core 2 Extreme processor
Processor Manufacturer Intel
Processor ID c3060300fffbebbf
Processor Version Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4150 CPU @ 3.50GHz
Processor Voltage 8ch - 1.2V
External Clock 100MHz
Max Speed 3500MHz
Current Speed 3500MHz
Processor Upgrade Socket LGA1155

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023
this error does not mean that there is something wrong with your RAM. it means that there is something wrong with the data stored in the RAM.

in this particular case windows wrote some info to your hard drive pagefile.sys but when it read it back into RAM it had been modified so windows called a bugcheck. the internal error code indicated a CRC error. (most likely a hardware issue with the storage)
With a machine as old as yours (last bios update in 2014) you would be looking for the drive to be failing and you should run something like crystaldiskinfo.exe to read the smart data to see how much drive life you have left.

most likely the system read info into ram with out any error. later the memory manager saved the data from the RAM back to virtual memory (pagefile.sys) later the windows memory manager needed the data again and read if from virtual memory (pagefile.sys) and got a CRC error on the read and called the bugcheck. This would be consistent with a failing cluster on the drive where the pagefile.sys is stored. delete the pagefile.sys and the system will be force to reread the drive on the next boot. this will allow clusters from the old pagefile.sys to be marked as bad so they can not be used again.
(windows does this as a background process during system idle time)

The following might help but most likely your drive health is low:
  • turn off the system virtual memory, reboot and turn it back on. this will dump the pagefile.sys and create a new one.
  • update your intel storage drivers, yours are old (from 2017)
you can try to install directly from intel:Intel® Driver & Support Assistant
(error in the intel storage driver could cause this error)

if you have a old SSD drive, it might need a firmware update. less likely since you would have been getting more bugchecks or system lockups.

remove this intel driver software:
Intel (R) Smart Connect software isctd64.sys
it is from 2012 and is no longer supported.

update your network driver from your motherboard vendor if you can.
yours is from 2015 (unrelated to this problem)

if you can, update the bios and motherboard drivers to the most current version.
(unrelated to this problem)

system info:
BIOS Version P1.40
BIOS Release Date 07/29/2014
Manufacturer ASRock
Product H97 Pro4
Processor Family ceh - Intel Core 2 Extreme processor
Processor Manufacturer Intel
Processor ID c3060300fffbebbf
Processor Version Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4150 CPU @ 3.50GHz
Processor Voltage 8ch - 1.2V
External Clock 100MHz
Max Speed 3500MHz
Current Speed 3500MHz
Processor Upgrade Socket LGA1155

Thanks for the really explanatory message, since this is my office computer I need to go physically there to follow the tips you gave me. I also run Memtest86 and it found 0 errors.
Should I delete the pagefile.sys by disabling the system virtual memory or manually?

Also, what should I look for on CrystalDiskInfo? I'm using that almost on daily basis and it always shows me the hdd is in a good state (apparently i'd say), that's also not so old it has probably 2yrs

Last edited:
best to turn off the virtual memory and turn it back on to get a new pagefile.sys.
if the drive is healthy then you have to start looking for secondary causes for a crc error from the storage. Deleting the pagefile.sys might help since corruptions can be stored/saved in the pagefile and later hit when the memory manager swaps the virtual memory back into RAM for uses and does its error checking.

update the intel drivers, there was a bug in the old drivers that would corrupt the pagefile.sys after repeated sleep/wake cycles. This could bugcheck as a CRC error depending on where the corruption occurred. (maybe)

update the bios if you can, it is common to have bios bugs related to the sleep functions. if you can not update you can turn off the sleep functions for the drive and see if you still bugcheck. Windows has implemented deeper sleep states and this has exposed a new round of bugs in bios, firmware and device drivers. With a old machines you might not have fixes other than to disable the sleep. For example my wife had a machine that had a bug in the USB chip on the motherboard. If the usb was told to sleep then the USB subsystem on that host could never wake up. The only "fix" was to never let the usb host sleep and avoid the problem.

with a crc error I would expect that to come from the storage driver and controller. The controller setup comes from the bios and then the driver can make additional changes. (also the drive can have firmware that gets involved)
your intel storage driver is old, run the intel update to get fixes. I think intel lists the bugs in the driver but it only goes back 2 years the last time i looked.

you would also have the option to switch out the driver from the intel storage driver that microsoft does not update to the microsoft storage driver that gets automatically updated with windows update.

also with old machines the electronics can just start to fail. This is mostly noted with certain types of capacitors that have a liquid in them and they dry out or corrode/swell up and stop working.

Best just work thru the various fix attempts in the hopes that one helps.
h97 chipset was released in may of 2014. most likely the bios on this machine has never been updated.

Jan 24, 2023
Ok, first update:
I turned off virtual memory and then turned it back on and after a few hours I had another BSOD.
Also, I installed the Intel DSA but when I click on "search for new drivers" nothing happens, so for some reason I gotta suppose it isnt working for me actually and I'm trying to find a solution or any way-around

I'll now try proceeding with the BIOS update if available and disabling the sleep function (hoping i'll do that correctly)

Honestly thanks for ur patience