[SOLVED] Random BSOD usually after closing a game (ntoskrnl.exe+427e38)

Dec 18, 2020
Hey there,

I've been facing blue screens for a while now and recently did a windows reinstall (while keeping my files) to fix them. For a while, it seemed to have done the trick but I recently had 2 blue screens happen in the span of 2 days. It usually occurs after an intensive session such as gaming or emulating. I should mention that I have undervolted my CPU -.140 for core and cache. I assumed it was the cause of it so I reverted it back to normal but still had the blue screens occur.

Here are the most recent dmp files: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApBeUnKvW5Y3g2ojuTJlPwbYyddO?e=z8BjyX

Please let me know if there is anything that is needed to diagnose this issue.

Solution
look to see if you can find the minidump files that were created when you had verifier enabled. it should name the drivers that was doing something wrong. At least the first driver that did something wrong.
when you use verifier you want to turn off the fast startup so you have time to break into safe mode for the case when your system bugchecks during the boot up.

you would break into safe mode, get to a command prompt then run
verifier.exe /reset

this turns off all of the verifier functions so you can reboot and boot winodows normally. Then you can look at the memory dump to find out why verifier bugchecked the system. you then can remove or exclude the offending driver from the boot up process, turn verifier on again and...
Dec 18, 2020
I believe it is any game or more specifically any intensive task that pushes the CPU. Once I stop and leave the laptop idle or under less load, it has a chance of blue screening. I have yet to see it blue screen mid game.

Could you help in making sense of the dmp files?

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
I believe it is any game or more specifically any intensive task that pushes the CPU. Once I stop and leave the laptop idle or under less load, it has a chance of blue screening. I have yet to see it blue screen mid game.

Could you help in making sense of the dmp files?

Name the game that is more cpu intensive?

I don't know what to make sense out of any dump files

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
Even after solving this problem, if it does, please download and run memtest86+

I suspect RAM first. But also can be caused by hard drive trying to dump game progress along the way before crashing

Hey there,

I've been facing blue screens for a while now and recently did a windows reinstall (while keeping my files) to fix them. For a while, it seemed to have done the trick but I recently had 2 blue screens happen in the span of 2 days. It usually occurs after an intensive session such as gaming or emulating. I should mention that I have undervolted my CPU -.140 for core and cache. I assumed it was the cause of it so I reverted it back to normal but still had the blue screens occur.

Here are the most recent dmp files: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApBeUnKvW5Y3g2ojuTJlPwbYyddO?e=z8BjyX

Please let me know if there is anything that is needed to diagnose this issue.
I would remove:
\SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\inpoutx64.sys Fri Oct 17 16:01:16 2008

check to see what this is:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SparkIO.sys Mon Nov 26 01:59:29 2018

drivers generally should not be run from a temp directory:
C:\Users\ahsan\AppData\Local\Temp\ThrottleStop.sys Wed Aug 21 10:36:02 2019

you can use microsoft tool to disable or remove drivers:
Autoruns for Windows - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs

Dec 18, 2020
I would remove:
\SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\inpoutx64.sys Fri Oct 17 16:01:16 2008

check to see what this is:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SparkIO.sys Mon Nov 26 01:59:29 2018

drivers generally should not be run from a temp directory:
C:\Users\ahsan\AppData\Local\Temp\ThrottleStop.sys Wed Aug 21 10:36:02 2019

you can use microsoft tool to disable or remove drivers:
Autoruns for Windows - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs
Hey there!

I removed the inpoutx64.sys. I was unable to find any information on SparkIO.SYS but even if I wanted to delete it, it will not let me. Also, it does not show up in Autoruns. Any suggestions on what to do with it?

As for Throttlestop.sys, I'm not sure why the drivers are there. Should I manually move them to the drivers folder?

Hey there!

I removed the inpoutx64.sys. I was unable to find any information on SparkIO.SYS but even if I wanted to delete it, it will not let me. Also, it does not show up in Autoruns. Any suggestions on what to do with it?

As for Throttlestop.sys, I'm not sure why the drivers are there. Should I manually move them to the drivers folder?
in autoruns you can delete the entry if to prevent the driver from being loaded.
you can uncheck the driver to prevent from loading and check it again later if you want it to load.

you can search your drive for sparkio.sys maybe you can find what loaded it.
or you can search the registry for the entry that was loading it.

I looked at two bugcheck, one looked like it crashed because something messed with memory it owned.
the second was caused by clipsp.sys and it look like it corrupted its stack .
the debugger thinks your clipsp.sys binary is ok and matches microsoft's version.

I think you have a driver messing up other drivers memory space. this is something that the old driver might do. especially after you run a game that used a lot of resources. Windows memory manager will swap out program data to the virtual memory and when it gets swapped back can be in a different location in memory. Old programs sometimes assume that the driver does not move its location and they just access and write to a memory location they owned at startup and was later given to another program.
This may crash the second driver. Windows changes the load order of drivers on each boot now. This can cause one program to crash different drivers on each boot of windows.

cmd.exe as an admin and run
dism.exe /online /clean-image /restorehealth

this will attempt to fix files and replace them with known good copies if one has been modified.

you could also get this error due to certain other issues but I would remove the old drivers first and wait several days to see if your system crashes again. one crash took 3 days 9 hours, the second one took 2 days 3 hour.
(sounds like a driver bug to me)

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020
in autoruns you can delete the entry if to prevent the driver from being loaded.
you can uncheck the driver to prevent from loading and check it again later if you want it to load.

you can search your drive for sparkio.sys maybe you can find what loaded it.
or you can search the registry for the entry that was loading it.

I looked at two bugcheck, one looked like it crashed because something messed with memory it owned.
the second was caused by clipsp.sys and it look like it corrupted its stack .
the debugger thinks your clipsp.sys binary is ok and matches microsoft's version.

I think you have a driver messing up other drivers memory space. this is something that the old driver might do. especially after you run a game that used a lot of resources. Windows memory manager will swap out program data to the virtual memory and when it gets swapped back can be in a different location in memory. Old programs sometimes assume that the driver does not move its location and they just access and write to a memory location they owned at startup and was later given to another program.
This may crash the second driver. Windows changes the load order of drivers on each boot now. This can cause one program to crash different drivers on each boot of windows.

cmd.exe as an admin and run
dism.exe /online /clean-image /restorehealth

this will attempt to fix files and replace them with known good copies if one has been modified.

you could also get this error due to certain other issues but I would remove the old drivers first and wait several days to see if your system crashes again. one crash took 3 days 9 hours, the second one took 2 days 3 hour.
(sounds like a driver bug to me)
I found SparkIO.SYS and after a bit of digging it seems it controls my laptop's keyboard lights. Seems like a relatively unproblematic driver. Impossible to delete it so do you suggest I ignore it?

As for the clipsp.sys, I think your deduction might be spot on considering I get varying blue screen errors and at random intervals. I ran the restorehealth and everything completed successfully. Is there anything else I need to do?

How do I go about finding and removing old drivers?

I found SparkIO.SYS and after a bit of digging it seems it controls my laptop's keyboard lights. Seems like a relatively unproblematic driver. Impossible to delete it so do you suggest I ignore it?

As for the clipsp.sys, I think your deduction might be spot on considering I get varying blue screen errors and at random intervals. I ran the restorehealth and everything completed successfully. Is there anything else I need to do?

How do I go about finding and removing old drivers?
I think removing inpoutx64.sys driver as the most likely suspect should help. just wait a few days and see if you crash again.

-the restore health call will have repaired windows files for the case where they were modified by something like a virus or malware.
now you just need to wait 3 or 4 days to see if you fixed the problem. doing something that uses up system memory (like running games)
can cause windows memory manager to copy data from RAM into virtual memory (pagefile.sys) when the games stops and the data is needed again is when your system will bugcheck if there is something wrong. There are tools that will force this condition but playing games, stopping and using something else and playing games again might also trigger the problem.

there is a way to force windows to check for drivers that have common programming errors. it is using a tool called verifier.exe and making certain settings that will force windows to put in a bunch of checks on the drivers and will crash your system when a driver does something it is not supposed to do.
you can run it but I would hold off since it can result in your system in bugchecking on each bootup until you turn the tool off.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020
I think removing inpoutx64.sys driver as the most likely suspect should help. just wait a few days and see if you crash again.

-the restore health call will have repaired windows files for the case where they were modified by something like a virus or malware.
now you just need to wait 3 or 4 days to see if you fixed the problem. doing something that uses up system memory (like running games)
can cause windows memory manager to copy data from RAM into virtual memory (pagefile.sys) when the games stops and the data is needed again is when your system will bugcheck if there is something wrong. There are tools that will force this condition but playing games, stopping and using something else and playing games again might also trigger the problem.

there is a way to force windows to check for drivers that have common programming errors. it is using a tool called verifier.exe and making certain settings that will force windows to put in a bunch of checks on the drivers and will crash your system when a driver does something it is not supposed to do.
you can run it but I would hold off since it can result in your system in bugchecking on each bootup until you turn the tool off.
Quick update: I had the verifier set up before creating this thread. After restarting, my laptop was stuck in a bsod loop with varying errors such as irql_not_less_or_equal and kernel security check failure. I ended up doing a system recovery directly before setting up the verifier.

With that being said, that pretty much confirms it to be a driver issue, right?

Also, I removed inpoutx64.sys from autoruns but it is still present in the drivers folder. Is that normal?

EDIT: Just had my laptop freeze completely. No blue screen, just a loud sound effect stuck on a really fast loop. Had to force shutdown. No minidump or anything in bluescreenview.exe. What do I do from here?

Last edited:
look to see if you can find the minidump files that were created when you had verifier enabled. it should name the drivers that was doing something wrong. At least the first driver that did something wrong.
when you use verifier you want to turn off the fast startup so you have time to break into safe mode for the case when your system bugchecks during the boot up.

you would break into safe mode, get to a command prompt then run
verifier.exe /reset

this turns off all of the verifier functions so you can reboot and boot winodows normally. Then you can look at the memory dump to find out why verifier bugchecked the system. you then can remove or exclude the offending driver from the boot up process, turn verifier on again and reboot and see if it finds another driver to bugcheck on. The process might go on for several drivers before you actually find the one that caused your problem.
main thing is you must know how get into safe mode so you can turn off verifier.exe functions to allow you to boot normally. remember verifier.exe /reset
turns all of the verifier functions back to default (OFF)

With solid state driver and fast boot you have only a very short timing windows to get into safe mode. I do think you can let the system crash 3 or 4 times and then it will automatically go into safe mode for you then you can run verifier.exe /reset when you get to a cmd.exe window.

for a freeze that has audio playing, I would look for the motherboard vendors update to any audio device. This can be the motherboard sound driver or the GPU sound driver.
or the CPU sound driver if your CPU has a GPU inside.
I would also go into windows control panel device manager and look for sound devices that I am not actually using and disable them. Sometimes you can have 2 devices that respond to the same hardware requests. basically two devices transferring data to the same memory location, kind of depends who responds last.
and if they send more data than requested the graphics audio driver tends to crash. which then crashes the gpu.

Solution