Random BSOD with brand new build

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

farmerdils

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
Greetings.

I'm getting random BSODs with a brand new build. I'm kind of a computer noob so I'm not entirely sure what to do. Three BSOD messages have been appearing.

Memory_management
page_fault_in_nonpaged_area
system_exception

The weird thing is that the BSOD occurs once and then my computer runs fine. Also worth noting that I had my hard drive plugged in when I installed my Windows OS, so although my OS is on my SSD, there is a system reserved partition on my HDD (500mb). I'm not sure if it is relevant or not, but there you go.

Edit: I guess you're going to need my specs.
Intel i7 6700k
Corsair h75 AIO
Gigabyte GAZ170MX Gaming 5
GeIL Potenza 16GB DDR4-2133
MSI GTX Geforce 1070
EVGA NEX750W 80+ Gold

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Solution
looking a the usb 3 error logs, you have a
ProductId: Gaming Mouse G502
DeviceDescriptor: VID 046d ( Logitech Inc.) PID c332 REV 0302, Class: (0)(0) BcdUsb: 0200
on your usb 3 port 4
the port was reset for some reason then the device(mouse) returned a error 0xc0000001(STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL)
then the microsoft driver failed the call because the client did not support it.

looks like logitech updated the windows 10 64 bit drivers on jan 4 2017
http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/g502-proteus-core-tunable-gaming-mouse
*you will want to also look for a firmware update for the mouse

i assume the MemCompression executable is part of the new windows 10 feature...

farmerdils

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
something is still has modifed your windows kernel. 4 error reported all single bit errors.
the bugcheck points to a bit corruption coming out of the plug and play system.

you have to change the memory dump type to kernel memory dump or all of the proper debug info is stripped out.
the memory dump will be stored in c:\windows\memory.dmp file.

farmerdils

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
I did a full clean delete of MBAE. Fingers crossed that might be it.

From independent research, my issues seem to be coming from a troublesome driver or faulty RAM. I don't want to RMA my RAM without exhausting all my options just yet.

I uploaded the MEMORY.DMP file, here's the link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhcS4hvw2pjjghzMxA7rIF_FXO-S
However, I think this dump is from when I was messing with driver verifier.

update or remove C:\Windows\System32\drivers\LGVirHid.sys
listed as a driver for Driver for Logitech keyboards that utilize GamePanel LCD technology.
InstancePath is "LogiDevice\VID_046D&PID_C232\1&79f5d87&1&01"

it looks like the device is being told to do some power function and the driver has no idea what the function is.
so it fails and returns status_not_supported

your system has two active threads running plug and play code. I think this logitech driver is messing up the plug and play.

I would remove the hardware and then make sure the actual device driver is removed even if you have to use the pnputil.exe command to deleted it.
or update the device driver from logitech and any firmware the device might have for the device.

I would also update the razer driver just because its internal log shows 4 sets of 2 bytes written and your nt kernel had 4 sets of 2 byte corruptions.

farmerdils

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
I did some googling, and that makes sense. I don't have anything that has the technology that the driver powers. Will delete and get back to you as soon as I can.

Thank you

EDIT: I ran verifier after deleting the drivers for both the logitech keyboard AND mouse, and also deleted the Logitech Gaming Software. Verifier ran without problems for about an hour. I'll only know for sure tomorrow upon bootup. Even without the drivers the onboard memory on my mouse seems to have kept my settings, so I didn't download the software at all... but wow. If my mouse driver was causing these crashes, I'm not even mad. I'm impressed.

farmerdils

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016

farmerdils

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
Yessir. Just went through safe mode to delete it, and that seems to have worked. I'll run memtest and report back with details. Unfortunately the crashes only ever occur after my PC has been off for a few hours (ie I turn it off overnight and turn it on in the morning) so I won't know for sure if it's fixed until tomorrow.

Anyways, if it's the RAM, the memtest should catch it.

farmerdils

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
Update! Memtest came back with 0 errors. I realized I didn't test each stick independently though, so I will do that overnight just in case. And now we wait....

Thank you!

the kernel memory dump looks like the OS files were updated.
build 10.0.14393.576 date 2016-12-09 01:23:02
same problem NVIDIA Web Helper.exe making a system call with a bad memory address that caused a bugcheck.

4998 errors : win32k (ffff8eda29000fff-ffff8eda29002c87)
4 errors : hal (fffff800b70138d3-fffff800b704874d)
3744 errors : nt (fffff800b7086594-fffff800b76ec32a)
8 errors : msrpc (fffff803881d5f45-fffff803881d5f7d)

these are key windows files, remote procedure calls, the nt kernel, the hardware abstraction interface and the windows 32 kernel user interface. the file corruption pattern looks like a attack on the system, (malware/hacks and viruses)

I would remove the nvidia .exe and reboot and run
cmd.exe as an admin and attempt to repair the windows core files.
via
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
I would run a malwarebytes free scan (but it could be new malware so it might not get flagged.)

anyway with the core windows files corrupted, it is not really worth debugging until that problem is fixed.

-----
the minidump shows nvidia web helper.exe running, your NT kernel has been modified.
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4279/~/security-bulletin%3A-vulnerability-in-nvidia-web-helper.exe-affects-nvidia

it looks like you are not updating any of the operations system files. kernel is still hacked.
looks like the nvidia sound driver is from the wrong build of the nvidia drivers.

BIOS version is current but your drivers do not match the BIOS version
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\bwcW10x64.sys Thu Sep 15 09:22:54 2016
\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\e2xw10x64.sys Wed Sep 14 13:52:26 2016

I would update the LAN driver
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5530&dl=#driver

farmerdils

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
I ran malwarebytes, avast, avira and windows defender. Nothing showed up at all for viruses or malware. This crash had started happening really before I even downloaded anything. The drivers were transferred straight from the manufacturer website on a portable USB. Do you think I would benefit from re-installed the OS?

I am currently updating the drivers you suggested.

what is this driver skmplneg.sys ??
generally, it is not a good sign if I can not find the driver on google

the minidump memory management error was most likely a physical device disconnecting. I would guess it would be a device connected via the PCI/e interface. I will look at the kernel memory dump and see if I can tell.

4998 errors : win32k (ffffb4d3a74e0fff-ffffb4d3a74e2c87)
3873 errors : nt (fffff80267804595-fffff80267e6a32a)
8 errors : hal (fffff802680268d2-fffff8026805b74d)
20 errors : dxgkrnl (fffff80fd4874e45-fffff80fd494fe75)

- your intel management engine drivers are old (Aug 31 15:45:52 2016)
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5530#driver
has a driver dated 12 -26-2016
you should update the driver to match your BIOS version which is current.

-------
you have a device attached to your USB 3 port and it is not waking up.
I would guess you have a firmware bug in your usb 3. You might run USB3.1 FW Update Tool
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5530#utility
or move your devices to a usb 2.x port.

got to run, will try to finish looking at memory dump when I get bac,

farmerdils

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
I'm not sure what that driver is. I can't find it in my system32 folder either. . . Not sure what that means. I will investigate.

Some things I did this morning: I reseated all the RAM, different slots and different sticks. There was one time when my PC wouldn't boot into BIOS at all. That may have been my fault because the system ran fine after I changed sticks and back. I did a memtest from a cold boot (maybe I'm having problems from a cold boot, I don't know) and no errors. The SATA cable was a little bit loose to my SSD, I rewired that (ruined my cable management). I also checked the RAM timing and voltage. They were set to auto but my BIOS is showing me the recommended settings for the RAM. My drivers have been updated (LAN, Audio and another reinstall of graphics). I still got a BSOD today.

At this point I'm thinking of taking it into a Memory Express or something to completely rule out any hardware issues. This is also my first solo build so I may have missed something during the build. I really don't want to take my system apart again though.

It baffles me that it will BSOD like clockwork but then run absolutely fine the rest of the day. Anyways.

Thank you johnbl and Paul NZ, your help is much appreciated.

see the note about updating the usb 3.0 firmware (above post)

TRENDING THREADS