[SOLVED] Random BSOD

Aug 5, 2019
Hi Everyone,
Lately I'm having random BSODs. After a couple of BSODs I turned on the driver verifier and I'm not capable to decipher how to read/extract the output of the windows driver verifier. Can anyone kindly examine the 4 dump files from here?

https://we.tl/t-r9PT1BRZ93

Thanks in advance

Solution
Welcome to the forums my friend!

I have debugged the 4 dump files and you can see the full reports here:
Summary of findings:
  • You encountered 3 different bugchecks (1a, c1, a)
  • Only 1 of the dump files had a third party module in the stack leading to the crash.
Report 1:
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1a)

Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000041790, A page table page has been corrupted. On a 64 bit OS, parameter 2
contains the address of the PFN for the corrupted page table page.
On a 32 bit OS, parameter 2 contains a pointer to the number of...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

I have debugged the 4 dump files and you can see the full reports here:
Summary of findings:
  • You encountered 3 different bugchecks (1a, c1, a)
  • Only 1 of the dump files had a third party module in the stack leading to the crash.
Report 1:
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1a)

Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000041790, A page table page has been corrupted. On a 64 bit OS, parameter 2
contains the address of the PFN for the corrupted page table page.
On a 32 bit OS, parameter 2 contains a pointer to the number of used
PTEs, and parameter 3 contains the number of used PTEs.

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN7_DRIVER_FAULT
PROCESS_NAME: svchost.exe
MODULE_NAME: nt
IMAGE_NAME: memory_corruption

Report 2:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)

An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high. This is usually caused by drivers using improper addresses. If a kernel debugger is available get the stack backtrace.
Arguments:
Arg1: fffffa8809857448, memory referenced
Arg2: 0000000000000002, IRQL
Arg3: 0000000000000001, bitfield :
bit 0 : value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
bit 3 : value 0 = not an execute operation, 1 = execute operation (only on chips which support this level of status)
Arg4: fffff80003352ae2, address which referenced memory

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN7_DRIVER_FAULT
PROCESS_NAME: System

Report 3:
SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION (c1)

Special pool has detected memory corruption. Typically the current thread's stack backtrace will reveal the guilty party.
Arguments:
Arg1: fffff9802dae6f30, address trying to free
Arg2: fffff9802dae61f6, address where one bit is corrupted
Arg3: 0000000000f140d0, (reserved)
Arg4: 0000000000000032, caller is freeing an address where nearby bytes within the same page have a single bit error

MODULE_NAME: nvlddmkm
IMAGE_NAME: nvlddmkm.sys
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0xC1_32_VRF_nvlddmkm+1b6821
PROCESS_NAME: dwm.exe

Report 4:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)

An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high. This is usually caused by drivers using improper addresses. If a kernel debugger is available get the stack backtrace.
Arguments:
Arg1: fffffa8807588ff8, memory referenced
Arg2: 0000000000000002, IRQL
Arg3: 0000000000000001, bitfield :
bit 0 : value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
bit 3 : value 0 = not an execute operation, 1 = execute operation (only on chips which support this level of status)
Arg4: fffff80003301ae2, address which referenced memory

PROCESS_NAME: System
BUCKET_ID: X64_0xA_VRF_nt!MiReferenceControlAreaPfn+122

Queries:
  • You may have a BIOS update available?
  • Are you running any overclock anywhere at all?
Things to consider:
  • As with any memory management error, whilst it does not necessarily mean faulty RAM, it is best practice to run memtest to verify the integrity of your RAM modules.
  • Bugcheck C1 is usually driver based, this identified NVIDIA drivers as the culprit. - Ensure your NVIDIA drivers are up to date.
  • Can you verify if the issue still occurs in safe mode?
  • Have you updated your Realtek Ethernet drivers?
  • You may need to disable AVIRA at some point to check this isn't the issue.
Your bugchecks are typically driver based, but the variety of them is a little more odd. But identifying if the issue occurs in safe mode will identify if it is probably hardware or software.

I know @Colif will like this one!

Reactions: katandbri
Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
i need to be less predictable :)

nvidia drivers be from 2016, should be newer versions. Sometimes replacing just the GPU drivers fixes everything

both revisions of the motherboard have newer WIn 7 lan drivers - you just need tro know which revision you have.

https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/GA-H55M-D2H-rev-13/support#support-dl-driver-lan

https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/GA-H55M-D2H-rev-14/support#support-dl-driver

there are newer audio drivers on there too.

edit: notices he is in win 7 forums

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019
First of all thanks both @PC Tailor and @Colif for the prompt support.

Things to consider:
  • As with any memory management error, whilst it does not necessarily mean faulty RAM, it is best practice to run memtest to verify the integrity of your RAM modules.
  • Bugcheck C1 is usually driver based, this identified NVIDIA drivers as the culprit. - Ensure your NVIDIA drivers are up to date.
  • Can you verify if the issue still occurs in safe mode?
  • Have you updated your Realtek Ethernet drivers?
  • You may need to disable AVIRA at some point to check this isn't the issue.

So I started with the first thing and ran a memtest. As soon as it started, errors popped up and on further investigation I found out that one of the DIMM modules seems to be faulty. Replaced the faulty DIMM and no crashes since then, although the crashes were random so I cannot recreate the crash on demand.

At this point, I'm assuming that the problem is resolved. :bounce:

Re BIOS updates: Yes, there is a BIOS update from Gigabyte but since this machine is an OEM build by Wortmann AG I don't want to risk to deactivate Windows. Usually I follow the motto "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" ;)

Reactions: PC Tailor