[SOLVED] Random BSODs and crashes

HtmHell

Honorable
Dec 25, 2016
Recently I have been getting random crashes, without me changing anything.

After a crash occurs, the boot order usually changes and I have to go to the bios and fix it to boot my c drive.
Sometimes when this happens, the bios is not working (not responding to anything. keyboard/mouse) and I have to reset it. I follow these steps:
  1. Shut off the power supply(by turning off the main switch). Wait for 10 seconds.
  2. Press and hold PC Power On button and then turn on the power supply.
  3. Release the PC Power On button once the PC starts.
  4. Shut off the power supply as quickly as possible thereafter.
  5. Turn the power supply back on
  6. Start PC as usual using Power on button
and then I can use the bios.

Here's a screenshot from WhoCrashed:
Wy0dVEf.png

Links:
Notes:
  • I've been monitoring temperatures, nothing unusual.
  • I didn't overclocked anything.
  • Yesterday I've replaced my RAM sticks (not from this reason) but this still happens, so I guess it's safe to say it's not the RAM sticks.
  • I had one before last bios version so I've updated it to the last one, problem still occurs.
  • I've reset bios settings to default.
  • I've installed all latest drivers.
Hardware Specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600x
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200, CL16 - (16x2 GB)
PSU: Corsair CX Series 550 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Modular Power Supply (CP-9020102-NA)

User Benchmark:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/32570633

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
1. After cleaning out a bunch of stuff be sure to 'optimize' the SSD. R-click - Properties - Tools - Optimize, to kick in the SSD garbage collection/TRIM.

2. It might depend on the specific Gigabyte 1080 that you have. From what I'm seeing, they boost into the mid-1800s core. Yours is hitting 2000MHz. Can you give me the full, specific model name, including all the adjectives? Super, Booster, Gaming, Deluxe, Extreme, etc.
In any case, it doesn't look like your GPU is massively downclocking. The slight drops are happening at low load (probably game menu/loading). This is expected.

3. Thanks.

4. Normally, yes, but only if the GPU is stable at the overclocked speeds. It's common for GPUs to be overclocked too much causing them to boost...
Okay. You've got several things going on in the background. Usually, you'll want to keep the background processes at or below 3% when benching. Your GPU is also showing as under-performing and your primary SSD is pretty full.

Can you run Crucial tools/software to see what it says about the health of your primary SSD? SSDs are happiest at or below 75% full. Your GPU appears to be heavily overclocked. Can you set it back to stock and test?

Also, go grab Open Hardware Monitor. In OHM, go to Options and Log Sensors. This will begin a .csv log file in the same directory as the OHM .exe. Once logging has started go and game. After 30 mins stop gaming, stop the logging (uncheck under Options in OHM), close OHM, and upload that .csv file to OneDrive (or something like that) so we can download it and take a look.

We're doing this to see how stable your GPU is at its overclocked speeds. Your GPU is a primary suspect in your BSOD issues.

Last edited:

HtmHell

Honorable
Dec 25, 2016
Okay. You've got several things going on in the background. Usually, you'll want to keep the background processes at or below 3% when benching. Your GPU is also showing as under-performing and your primary SSD is pretty full.

Can you run Crucial tools/software to see what it says about the health of your primary SSD? SSDs are happiest at or below 75% full. Your GPU appears to be heavily overclocked. Can you set it back to stock and test?

Also, go grab Open Hardware Monitor. In OHM, go to Options and Log Sensors. This will begin a .csv log file in the same directory as the OHM .exe. Once logging has started go and game. After 30 mins stop gaming, stop the logging (uncheck under Options in OHM), close OHM, and upload that .csv file to OneDrive (or something like that) so we can download it and take a look.

We're doing this to see how stable your GPU is at its overclocked speeds. Your GPU is a primary suspect in your BSOD issues.
1. Crucial says drives are healthy. After checking I also cleared some space. (As you can see it the photo, it says there's a new firmware for the drive, but I'm afraid of upgrading since it's my boot drive)
K9TFrjW.png

2. I didn't know my GPU is overclocked, I bought it new from Amazon and never configured an over clock. How do I turn it off?

3. As requested, about 30 minutes of PUBG: OHM log

4. By the way, if it's over clocked isn't it supposed to over-perform rather than under-perform?

Thank you

1. After cleaning out a bunch of stuff be sure to 'optimize' the SSD. R-click - Properties - Tools - Optimize, to kick in the SSD garbage collection/TRIM.

2. It might depend on the specific Gigabyte 1080 that you have. From what I'm seeing, they boost into the mid-1800s core. Yours is hitting 2000MHz. Can you give me the full, specific model name, including all the adjectives? Super, Booster, Gaming, Deluxe, Extreme, etc.
In any case, it doesn't look like your GPU is massively downclocking. The slight drops are happening at low load (probably game menu/loading). This is expected.

3. Thanks.

4. Normally, yes, but only if the GPU is stable at the overclocked speeds. It's common for GPUs to be overclocked too much causing them to boost for a few seconds then drop to ultra low levels (or crash) due to temp or electrical limitations. This is also a major source of BSODs, buuuut...

...the CPU and GPU appear to be doing okay.

Let's try -
Updating the BIOS and all drivers to the latest. Ntoskrnl.exe crashes are sometimes related to driver issues. If the boot order resets you could be looking at a drive issue. Please list the models of all drives connected and run each manufacturer's drive health tools to check each one. Can you temporarily unplug all drives but the boot drive and use the computer/game with just the primary SSD?

Solution

HtmHell

Honorable
Dec 25, 2016

3. Thanks.

4. Normally, yes, but only if the GPU is stable at the overclocked speeds. It's common for GPUs to be overclocked too much causing them to boost for a few seconds then drop to ultra low levels (or crash) due to temp or electrical limitations. This is also a major source of BSODs, buuuut...

...the CPU and GPU appear to be doing okay.

Let's try -
Updating the BIOS and all drivers to the latest. Ntoskrnl.exe crashes are sometimes related to driver issues. If the boot order resets you could be looking at a drive issue. Please list the models of all drives connected and run each manufacturer's drive health tools to check each one. Can you temporarily unplug all drives but the boot drive and use the computer/game with just the primary SSD?
GPU is Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8G
Bought it from here in 2017: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GJEE9BG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Drives:
1. Crucial P1 3D NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB (I checked it last time and it seems healthy)

2. Samsung 850 Evo 500GB:
K6rGSpQ.png

3. WD Blue 1TB (2012) WDC WD10EZEX-00WN4A0:
D1DibHH.png

BIOS is the latest version, also the GPU drivers.
What other drivers should I check and how do I install them? Do I just go to the Gigabyte web page of my motherboard and download all latest drivers there?

Currently all games are on the Samsung drive so I can't unplug and run games.
Also, yesterday for example I didn't get any crash. (I was playing for ~3-4 hours) so unplugging all other drives and wait for a crash doesn't look like a good option for me, is there anything else we can try?

Thank you for your help!