Random BSOD's on new system build

Apr 15, 2018
Good evening to all the hardware gurus out there! I recently built two new systems utilizing the new Ryzen 5 2400g processor. On the recommendation of a friend I also went with 16gb Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz RAM for each build, seeing as these new Raven Ridge processors rely heavily on good memory. Both systems have been running fine for the last two weeks, up until tonight. My system started throwing BSOD's randomly. The first one was a Kernel Security Check failure. The system rebooted fine and started up as normal. I'd say within 10-15 minutes it once again threw up another BSOD stating the stop code was Memory Management failure. Once the machine rebooted (again) I started to run a memory diagnostic. Before I could even do that it BSOD'd again with another Kernel Security Check failure. I managed to get it to run a memory check and it stated that hardware issues were detected. I know it's rare but could I have faulty memory already? I am running the memory at 3000mhz through the Gigabyte XMP. I'm actually typing this post on the computer itself as it seems to be stable (for the moment at least). Any ideas or fixes you guys recommend? Thanks in advance for your help!

**UPDATE**
Spoke with a network admin friend of mine and he suggested running MemTest64. At the moment it has been running for ~7min and has found 2361 errors. Will update once done.

Solution
You're welcome.
When you get a chance please check your motherboard website or manual for compatibility memory list, and check mobo manual for Bios settings if in doubt.
let us know how things go please, thanks.
Did you update your motherboard Bios to the latest one ?
Apr 15, 2018
Thanks for the response ROGG. I went to bed with the test running and it rebooted at some point during the night. Running the test again at 2666 mhz and still getting errors. Gonna pull the sticks one at a time and see what I'm looking at. Really frustrating to have dropped $190 on a RAM kit that's crapped out already.

R0GG

Distinguished
You're welcome.
When you get a chance please check your motherboard website or manual for compatibility memory list, and check mobo manual for Bios settings if in doubt.
let us know how things go please, thanks.
Did you update your motherboard Bios to the latest one ?

Solution

playstoreupdateft

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017
Check your MOBO..i have seen many people have had similar issues with BSOD..try checking your MOBO, update bios, and or even trying to replace another MOBO and see if things workout...almost everyone go this same issue you had...better give it a shot..if you can...check with another MOBO and see..

Apr 15, 2018
Good afternoon guys and thanks so much for your help and suggestions. I did consult the Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming 3 mobo compatibility list and it was listed so I know I'm good there. I'm also running the newest BIOS version listed on their site (23d). That in itself was a whole separate issue because the board needed to be flashed before I could even run the 2400g processor. AMD was great about that and sent a bootkit pretty quickly. Regarding the memory - I pulled both sticks and tested each one individually. First stick was fine, passed the MemTest64 without any errors. The minute I popped in the other module and booted up I got a Memory Management stop code BSOD before the system ever made it to the Windows login screen. Managed to get it to boot a second time and ran MemTest on it. Lots of errors almost right away. I guess I am one of the unlucky ones that ended up with a bad module. I've opened a ticket with Corsair and I've read they'll want me to send both sticks back to them so I'll be without a PC for a while until they ship me a replacement. First time I've ever had memory fail almost immediately after purchase (and I used to work in computer networking lol).

R0GG

Distinguished

I hear you, never had or been across a single failed memory stick in more than 20 years of computer experience., knock on ...chips! You'll get a replacement mem stick in no time, great you solved your issue.