[SOLVED] Random BSODs, possibly related to GPU Issues ?

Lazonda

Commendable
Nov 2, 2018
I've been having issues, primarily with my GPU, but I'm posting here as I suspect it's a more system-wide problem.

There are two main incidents that appear to be related:
I will get a BSOD. This is usually a random error code that is different almost every time. It is nearly always on startup or soon after startup, and sometimes gets into loops.
My GPU is then marked as code 52. AMD's Radeon software marks it as not having drivers installed.

If neither of these things occur around startup then I can proceed with no issues.

I have tried:
  • Making sure all drivers are updated and Windows update is completed.
  • Running DDU and reinstalling drivers.
  • Physically checking the GPU.
  • Running memory checks.
  • Running a pixel clock patcher (atikmdag-patcher-bios, appears to have worked for someone with similar issues).
  • Installing the latest BIOS.
At this point, I'm pretty much out of ideas. Does anyone know of how I could solve this? I shall post my specs below.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.19043 Build 19043
System Model MS-7B85
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor, 3400 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends International, LLC. 1.F4, 22/04/2021
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Product B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (MS-7B85)
GPU Radeon RX 570

Solution
Thank you.

I should start recording these. I had one this morning, before I saw your message, and haven't got it to BSOD since then! I managed to get it to BSOD, this time on shutdown. It was page fault in nonpaged area. A further BSOD I got seemingly at random (soon after startup) was driver power state failure.

Two I've had (remembering from Google searches!) are;

Kernel security check failure
Unexpected kernel mode trap

Kernel Security Check Failure is most likely a driver thing, For the unexpected kernel mode trap, not sure what that is, but I would do the following (in order probably),

• Run cmd as admin with the following command: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

• Run cmd as admin with the...

kubacs

Honorable
May 7, 2018
Can you turn you pc on and off a few times? So I can get some error codes, there is possibly more than one issue here, also maybe try reflashing your bios onto the 570, but that would be the last thing I would do.

Lazonda

Commendable
Nov 2, 2018
Can you turn you pc on and off a few times? So I can get some error codes, there is possibly more than one issue here, also maybe try reflashing your bios onto the 570, but that would be the last thing I would do.
Thank you.

I should start recording these. I had one this morning, before I saw your message, and haven't got it to BSOD since then! I managed to get it to BSOD, this time on shutdown. It was page fault in nonpaged area. A further BSOD I got seemingly at random (soon after startup) was driver power state failure.

Last edited:

kubacs

Honorable
May 7, 2018
Thank you.

Kernel Security Check Failure is most likely a driver thing, For the unexpected kernel mode trap, not sure what that is, but I would do the following (in order probably),

• Run cmd as admin with the following command: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

• Run cmd as admin with the following command: sfc /scannow

• Update all drivers

• Run memtest86+ (you need a usb, use rufus to put the iso onto the usb, then just boot from the usb in your bios)

• Reinstall Windows

Solution

Lazonda

Commendable
Nov 2, 2018

• Update all drivers

• Run memtest86+ (you need a usb, use rufus to put the iso onto the usb, then just boot from the usb in your bios)

• Reinstall Windows
Thank you for your response - just wanted to let you know I am working through these, I've had a lot of issues and trying to do work in the middle hasn't helped.
I have now reinstalled windows (I was unable to boot due to critical process died BSOD), and am moving on to the other options.

Lazonda

Commendable
Nov 2, 2018

• Update all drivers

• Reinstall Windows
I think we have our cultprit.
https://pastebin.com/J5wjivtk
CdC7PSF.png