Mar 13, 2022
Ok, so i'm really confused. My case came with 3 ARGB fans that are connected together and have an output to SATA. But there is also another cable - VDG in 3pin that connects to my motherboard. I pulled it out and nothing changed, the rgb on the fans still works, the rgb switch on the case still works and everything is ok. What is the purpose of the cable if it doesn't do anything. Am I missing something? I am a new builder so please don't roast me :)

Solution
Ok, so i'm really confused. My case came with 3 ARGB fans that are connected together and have an output to SATA. But there is also another cable - VDG in 3pin that connects to my motherboard. I pulled it out and nothing changed, the rgb on the fans still works, the rgb switch on the case still works and everything is ok. What is the purpose of the cable if it doesn't do anything. Am I missing something? I am a new builder so please don't roast me :)
It's actually INPUT from SATA to power the ARGB hub/ controller to enable more power than usual MB limits.
The other cable is or same use as this https://www.amazon.com/LICHIFIT-Conversion-Connector-GIGABYTE-Motherboard/dp/B082MHMP79
It's actually INPUT from SATA to power the ARGB hub/ controller to enable more power than usual MB limits.
The other cable is or same use as this https://www.amazon.com/LICHIFIT-Conversion-Connector-GIGABYTE-Motherboard/dp/B082MHMP79

Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
That sounds like a system that has the lights in those fans all controlled by a third-party Controller. That unit draws power directly from the PSU via a SATA power output connector, and uses a connection to a button on the case front to make changes in the lighting display. MANY such systems also allow you to change how it operates. Often it works this way: if you hold down the front panel button you use to set the display for at least 5 sec, the Controller stops doing that job by itself and turns over control of the display to a signal it gets from your mobo's ARGB header. THAT signal is what this "other cable" plugged into the mobo 3-pin ARGB header is for. IF your system is designed this way, when you make that change the control of lights becomes whatever you can do with the software utility that came with your mobo. But until you make that long-push change, the third-party Controller module is doing it all according to what button pushes you make.

TRENDING THREADS