Question Random chance BSOD, motherboard suddently cant detecting UEFI anymore

Nov 21, 2021
Hardware:
GPU: MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
MOBO: ASUS B450M TUF Gaming PRO
Old Ram: GeiL Evo Potenza 2x8 (3200,cas16)
New Ram (Returned): Gskill 2x16 Tridentz Royal (3600,cas16)
New Ram (Current): Gskill 2x16 Tridentz RGB (3600,cas17)
NVME: TeamGroup 256 GB NVME (TM8FP6256G0C101) (Formatted for UEFI)

Ive been having weird issues with the NVME after installing new ram. Originally ram was 2x8, and was only on the support list for ryzen, but not for the motherboard.

I tried installing new ram, but that ended up causing these issues. It ended up causing blue screens when starting up, so I ended up buying other new ram that was compatible with both lists for the motherboard and cpu (The current GSkill ram)

The weird crashing issue still continued until me and a couple of others found out issue was mobo stops detecting the UEFI Boot, and ends up wanting to launch others. Was resolved by forcing only boot on the windows boot uefi from the NVME, removing every other drive from the list since theres no windows installs, and turning on CSM to do UEFI first.

The issues still continued, but only at times when booting did it rarely stop detecting the drive and slow to a crawl (The mouse stutters when moving until blue screen then shows up and restarts) until a reboot from turning on and off the PSU from the back was done to fix it and have the uefi show back up on boots. A regular restart would still have still have the windows boot gone from the boot list.

The issue only happens during a boot, after that if it gets past the login, it runs perfectly normal.

Although it sometimes doesnt boot right, it still runs normally until recently. Windows seemingly forced me to update, and during the update after a restart, where it restarts into "Getting Windows ready, dont turn off your computer", it seems to always have issues with continuing, with it getitng stuck on 80% or so done, and then doing the missing boot thing from above, until just blue screening.

I was only able to stop it by waiting for when windows booted instead to "Windows did not boot properly", and just using windows restore to revert back to update, however it still wants me to update, so I ended up pausing it, but it seems that as soon as it hits christmas, im forced to update and then I will be stuck on update loop again.

My guess is either I didnt do the correct Bios settings (I tried following one person's suggestion from a forum post, but it seems ASUS reorganized their bios menu, so i couldnt follow), either the motherboard has an issue where it cant detect anything from that nvme slot anymore, or the nvme is the issue, and seems to work normally.

Also, I've already tried memtest86, it seems to always follow with a pass.

Nov 21, 2021
DO you have latest BIOS?

Have you tried using another drive?

try downloading the SSD SMART tool from here and run it on drive - https://www.teamgroupinc.com/en/support/download.php
they also have an nvme driver but i doubt it help, as problem is happening before windows loads.

need to work out why drive randomly doesn't boot before you can fix windows update.

- Latest bios already downloaded, had to do that anyways to allow compatability for the CPU, and that compatability was added for the 5000 series

-Ive already tried another drive, but I've been trying to have the windows boot be on the NVME for faster boots. Theres also a SSD and a HD on the computer, but these are mainly used for storing files and games

-As far as I can tell, S.M.A.R.T. shows the drive is running normal, and I probably can't see any issues unless the issue happens, but at that point when it does happen, my pc would already be unable to even get past login.
unknown.png

Colif

Win 11 Master
Nov 21, 2021
did ssd and hdd ever have windows on them?

main reason i asked about other drive was just to see if same thing happened on them as well. I totally get use nvme as boot.

sounds like mb in general doesn't like nvme - https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...o-start-TUF-B450M-PLUS-Gaming-SAMSUNG-960-EVO

wonder why it only started after swapping ram.

SSD Had windows, but has since been zero'd, besides, both wont show up on the list since they aren't UEFI. Also, the NVME was also zero'd when installing the 2nd new ram (TridentZ Royal) before switching to the current ram

Can you show screenshot from Disk Management ? (with all drives visible)

C is the NVME with booting issues
D is the SSD
E is the HDD
unknown.png

Nov 21, 2021
Since nothing;
-Bios is currently now on latest. I tried doing other things including setting to other OS for boot, turning off CSM/setting to Auto/Deleting and installing boot keys, seems to not work

A new NVME is coming around the way (970 Evo). I want to see if its a NVME issue, if the crash still persists even with a different NVME drive, I think it might be the motherboard somehow malfunctioning when that new incompatible ram (Royal) was installed.