[SOLVED] random complete freezing of windows

Jan 5, 2019
I just assembled a pc few days ago and it just freezes after 5 to 10 min of starting. I did install windows again but no success. Please help me i m completely hopeless right now.
one more thing is that every time i run benchmarks( cpu and gpu ) it works fine

Solution
Yes - that is relevant.

Are you overclocking?

Here is a link to help explain the error just for informational purposes. May not directly apply to your build and the computer freeze ups.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000028117/processors.html

I found quite a number of links regarding "clock watchdog timeout".

Could be any number of reasons for the error. Easily googled and there are likewise a number of "fixes" being offered or provided.

Key is a three step process:

1) Try to find out as much as you can via your computer's logs. There may be other error codes, warnings, events that may narrow down the possible root source of the freezes.

2) Do some online research with respect to the problem...

Ralston18

Titan
Event Viewer can be confusing.

To help:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/75294-view-reliability-history-windows-10-a.html

If the logs are lengthy, clear them first. Then look again after a couple of freezes.

You can right click on any given event for more detailed information. Details can be cryptic so you may need to do some additional research with respect to error codes etc.

Key is to not immediately react to any given "cause" or possible fix. Learn as much as you can and you will likely be able to narrow down the possible reasons for the freezes.

And consider reopening your case and doublechecking all connections, card seatings, ram installations, etc. Be sure that everything is indeed fully and firmly in place.

With a new build (assembly) cable connections, card seatings, etc. may initially feel or appear to be correct. However, you may find something is actually loose when you apply a gentle but firmer push.

Jan 5, 2019

Jan 5, 2019
ok i will look at it carefully. one more thing - is clock watchdog timeout relevant to this as sometimes i have to restart the pc from the case( when it is completely frozen) and sometimes it freezes and after couple of seconds it shows blue screen showing clock watchdog time out and restarts itself.

Ralston18

Titan
Yes - that is relevant.

Are you overclocking?

Here is a link to help explain the error just for informational purposes. May not directly apply to your build and the computer freeze ups.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000028117/processors.html

I found quite a number of links regarding "clock watchdog timeout".

Could be any number of reasons for the error. Easily googled and there are likewise a number of "fixes" being offered or provided.

Key is a three step process:

1) Try to find out as much as you can via your computer's logs. There may be other error codes, warnings, events that may narrow down the possible root source of the freezes.

2) Do some online research with respect to the problem specifics as much as possible.

3) Consider what options are available to address and hopefully fix the problem as is relevant to your computer.

It may be tempting to just start changing or doing things. Hold on that and focus on finding out what is the most likely cause.

Post accordingly. Someone else following this thread may be able to offer additional suggestions and ideas.

Solution
Jan 5, 2019

Jan 5, 2019
i was experiencing these errors from beginning. So as you said i started searching on google for freezing and clock watchdog error and came across some forums regarding this. They said that people experience these errors quite less if they are into overclocking, so it was only aftr that i decided to overclock my cpu.

Jan 5, 2019
i went through the event viewer. There i discovered the reports for the freezing and found the dump files. There were 7 mini dumps present there out of which 6 were caused by the address:
atikmdag.sys+f00f4
on googling i found out that this refers to ati radeon kernel mode driver.
what should i do next

Jan 5, 2019
i have reinstalled the display driver and have not installed any other display driver yet. but the pc is still showing BSOD clock watchdog.
This time in the dump files i found this address:
ntoskrnl.exe