Random Component Failure

z7storm7z

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
Recently, my computer has been having problems starting up. Today when i started it, one of my 4GB ram sticks and one of my two evga 670 FTWs are not working. They do not show up in the bios and are not being used by windows. Any ideas what going on?

z7storm7z

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

If that is the case, should I try a different PSU and see if it makes a difference? Could it be a motherboard problem? Also I just looked again in the bios and all of the ram sticks are showing up, yet one is not being used in windows.

z7storm7z

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

I am running 64bit windows 7. My build is
I5 3570k, be quiet pure power 630w PSU, 2*4GB crucial ballistic memory, 2* gtx 670 FTW, Asus maximus v gene motherboard, 2*256GB crucial SSD.

6R1M01R3

Distinguished
You may have stressed the PSU too much, as the GTX 670 makes use of 170 watts, but the FTW are overclocked so they draw more power, in SLI even more.
Tried changing the video cards from slots? or the RAM modules?

z7storm7z

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

I just swapped the RAM slots and now they are both being detected, still no luck with the GPU however, about to try and reseat it.

z7storm7z

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
Back to square one... :( Only one RAM stick is now being detected after the computer not starting up for 2 hours as i reseated both GPUs and tried many ram slot combinations. Also apparently to NZXT CAM my processor is reaching super high temps of over 100 degrees Celsius, which i find hard to believe. I am really worried now, could it be a motherboard problem?

z7storm7z

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
Okay, so the RAM is all now working after a reinserting a couple times in different slot combinations, now i just need to think about GPU 2. Today i will probably swap the GPUs around the PCI slots and see if it is a PCI slot or a GPU that is broken.

z7storm7z

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
It seems the GPUs are both working perfectly. I swapped them between the slots and have the exact same problem. It would seem this is a motherboard problem as the GPU in slot two does not work.

6R1M01R3

Distinguished

Used different power cables for the GPU in slot 2?(PSU has two outputs for video cards, test plugging the second GPU in the first port, then in the second. Turn off the computer and unplug it from the current between tests) Tried using a single card connected to the second slot?

z7storm7z

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
I have done both things you suggested. No video output when the computer boots with a card in the second slot connected to the monitor and no change with different power cables. I think the second PCI slot is shot. I will have to contact Asus and see what they have to say about it.

6R1M01R3

Distinguished

Sounds like the only possible solution, since the PSU and GPUs are working well, being only the second slot of the motherboard that busted. Make sure to notify about the ram slots as well.