Question Random computer crashes

Geasg

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
Hello, a few months ago I experienced a weird system failure/crash, all sounds stopped, however I was still able to interact with some applications like spotify but if i sent spotify to the background I was no longer able to interact with it at all, if I was ingame at the moment of the crash I could tab out and interact with portions of my desktop but once I tabbed back in I was unable to interact. If i was watching a twitch stream/youtube video at the time the video would become extremely laggy, going to a very low frame rate but it would keep running. If this happened I was unable to turn my computer off via the windows key and shut down, I also couldnt push the power button on my computer, the only way to turn the computer off was a by holding the power button in.

These only used to happen a couple of times a month, a few months ago but they have suddenly become more frequent, however I feel like this could just be a coincidence because im not sure anything like this could just randomly get more frequent. There is no "critical events" in the reliability monitor to suggest something is wrong. My computers temperatures are relatively high when play games (80C), but it has been like this for years and these crashes happen even in idle, I have updates graphic and processor drivers. So my guess is a RAM or motherboard failure as those are relatively old, however I have no idea about this type of stuff.

A system restore isn't really a option as I have no idea when these crashes started, I was going to do a factory reset but I figured there maybe another way to get around this problem. I have had alot of stuff installed over the years so a virus is a possibility however my anti-virus has never really picked anything up. I have also tried googling the problem but I have never found anyone with my specific problem only just general "crashes" which dont really help my case.

I can give any addition information surround my computer. Also im not really sure what category to put this situation in so I just put it into "System" if this post needs to be moved elsewhere please let me know.

(SPECCY)
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 @ 3.60GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB
Motherboard
MSI H81M-E34 (MS-7817) (SOCKET 0)
%1 Chipset
Graphics
2260WG5 (1920x1080@75Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (ZOTAC International) 62 °C
Storage
931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 (SATA ) 44 °C
Optical Drives
ASUS DRW-24F1ST a
Audio
VB-Audio VoiceMeeter VAIO

Jul 28, 2019
Hello, a few months ago I experienced a weird system failure/crash, all sounds stopped, however I was still able to interact with some applications like spotify but if i sent spotify to the background I was no longer able to interact with it at all, if I was ingame at the moment of the crash I could tab out and interact with portions of my desktop but once I tabbed back in I was unable to interact. If i was watching a twitch stream/youtube video at the time the video would become extremely laggy, going to a very low frame rate but it would keep running. If this happened I was unable to turn my computer off via the windows key and shut down, I also couldnt push the power button on my computer, the only way to turn the computer off was a by holding the power button in.

These only used to happen a couple of times a month, a few months ago but they have suddenly become more frequent, however I feel like this could just be a coincidence because im not sure anything like this could just randomly get more frequent. There is no "critical events" in the reliability monitor to suggest something is wrong. My computers temperatures are relatively high when play games (80C), but it has been like this for years and these crashes happen even in idle, I have updates graphic and processor drivers. So my guess is a RAM or motherboard failure as those are relatively old, however I have no idea about this type of stuff.

A system restore isn't really a option as I have no idea when these crashes started, I was going to do a factory reset but I figured there maybe another way to get around this problem. I have had alot of stuff installed over the years so a virus is a possibility however my anti-virus has never really picked anything up. I have also tried googling the problem but I have never found anyone with my specific problem only just general "crashes" which dont really help my case.

I can give any addition information surround my computer. Also im not really sure what category to put this situation in so I just put it into "System" if this post needs to be moved elsewhere please let me know.

(SPECCY)
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 @ 3.60GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB
Motherboard
MSI H81M-E34 (MS-7817) (SOCKET 0)
%1 Chipset
Graphics
2260WG5 (1920x1080@75Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (ZOTAC International) 62 °C
Storage
931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 (SATA ) 44 °C
Optical Drives
ASUS DRW-24F1ST a
Audio
VB-Audio VoiceMeeter VAIO
It may be the hard drive, I had crashes with my WD Blue getting a blue screen of death at least once a day untill I got ssd for my system. Use the HDD Santiel and check hdd health or bad sectors. My hdd was faulty for months but it was not showing in any program and then one day I have seen 22% with 170+ bad sectors.