Random computer freezes

HKDuskraven

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2013
First off, I know there are about a million threads like this, but I can't find any solution that works.

When it happens my entire computer becomes unresponsive. No cursor movement, nothing. It almost always happens when I render with Sony Vegas, but it really has no set pattern. It can happen in Skype calls, playing games, watching YouTube videos, or doing nothing at all.

My Specs:
Amd FX8350 eight core 4 ghz
Asus Sabretooth FX990
Seasonic S12II 520 Bronze
NVidia GeForce GTX650Ti
Caviar Blue 1TB HDD (I think...)
Kingston HyperX (something at 1600Mhz I think) 4x4gb

Things I have tried:
Virus check
Monitored temperatures. Nothing overheats.
Completely reinstalled heat sink to make sure there was no problem with cooling.
Memory diagnostics. Nothing found.
Limiting CPU usage in task manager.

Things I have noticed:
When the PC freezes, all of my peripherals, like keyboard and mouse stay as though the PC is still on. Lights stay on and act like they're connected, even though the whole screen is frozen. Fans also keep spinning, etc.

Just before it freezes, on the system monitoring thing windows has, my memory gives about 70 hard faults for a split second, then everything locks up. As someone who barely managed to make their own computer, I don't really know what this means, but info would be appreciated.

Any advice would be great, and I'd love to hear your ideas!

try hdtune read your hard drive smart info. if a drive having issues it can cause lock ups. use cpu-z check that your mb set your ram timing right and voltage. make sure your mb bios has all the bios updates. some mb can have ram issues with four dims try running with two dimms.

HKDuskraven

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2013

Not sure I have used the program's right, but apparently I have bad Airflow temperature and need to replace my hard drive. Is it likely this is the problem because if it is, I need to buy a new hard drive tomorrow...

Thanks!

the health screen if the temp over 50 it flag a warning.to fix it you just need a fan. if you can post up the health screen. yellow warning and red are where you have to read the info. some warning like a few bad sectors are ok as when you format the drive the drive will mask out the bad spots unless there grown to large.

HKDuskraven

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2013

I'm now pretty sure it has nothing to do with overheating, because my PC just crashed before I even logged on, and I can't see it having enough time to heat up that much.

I also ran a diagnostics check from my HDD manufacturer which took a couple of hours, but said it was all ok.

Apparently RAM can cause these freezes, is it worth running something like MemTest86? If not, what else could I try? I may take my PC to a repair shop tomorrow if I don't fix it...

Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS