Random computer freezes

sencor

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
Hey people, so i ran into this issue of my computer starting to freeze it shows the last frame of what was on the screen completly unresponsive never unfreezes and i have to do a Hard reset. It got to the point that the Windows install screen freezes, or mid way loading Windows a freeze happens, sometimes it works for an hour other times Windows dont even load just a black screen. What i did to troubleshoot : updating Windows, updating drivers, setting the power settings to high performace (forgot to do that in the first place), unplugging all devices and checking each one by one to see if some are faulty and the problem persisted, reinstalling Windows several times, i though that my SSD was dying so I installed Windows on my HDD, still the same problem, checked temps all was running fine, no fast fan speeds to indicate overheating which was conclusive with speedfan data of the temps right before any freezes (pc is clean of dust). No malware ive cleaned the pc of them before the freezing got so bad and i reformated the drives several times aswell.

What i believe could be the problem : bios got currupted or something, cpu, motherboard and ram.

GPU is new so i doubt it and so is the PSU (the psu is better then the previous one).

Solution
What I would do then, since it appears to be an old PC and would not be sensible to do random hardware changes, would be to take it to a PC repair shop and have them check it.
But first I would check all of the connections (remove them and reinstall them) just to make sure they are good.

sencor

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
Dont remember at the top of my head and cant check but ill try anyway
CPU - amd phenom II x4 940 or something
Gpu - gtx 650
Motherboard - some old asus board
Ssd - samsung evo 940
Hdd - western Digital caviar blue 1 TB
RAM - PC2 6400 gold edition

sencor

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
Windows 10, there are drivers. Cant run speccy since i cant really turn on my pc without it freezing, sometimes it doesnt even post just a blank screen and fans runing

What I would do then, since it appears to be an old PC and would not be sensible to do random hardware changes, would be to take it to a PC repair shop and have them check it.
But first I would check all of the connections (remove them and reinstall them) just to make sure they are good.

Solution