Jun 25, 2019
So recently I upgraded my CPU but I highly doubt that is what caused it. Anyways, I have been experiencing random hangs where the computer freezes completely and becomes unresponsive until I restart. My computer specs are listed below.

• MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard
  • AMD FX-8350 CPU ( Upgraded from the Phenom II )
  • 16 GB 2400 Mhz Ram
  • 128 GB SSD along with a 1 TB HDD
  • 1060 6GB

Keep in mind this doesn't happen only when doing a specific task, it happens randomly every now and then completely making my computer unresponsive. Thanks for the Help in advance.

DSzymborski

Titan
not sure why that is important but it is a 400 Watt 80+ Certified EVGA Power Supply.

It's quite important. Is this a factory overclocked 1060? Are you doing any overclocking of the CPU? How old is the PSU? I'm asking because you have a fairly low-quality PSU with only 360W available on the +12V rail. Have you noticed anything odd with the temperatures? Did this behavior only start after the upgrade? Does the behavior persist when you try your Phenom? Have you done any testing with the RAM?

Jun 25, 2019
It's quite important. Is this a factory overclocked 1060? Are you doing any overclocking of the CPU? How old is the PSU? I'm asking because you have a fairly low-quality PSU with only 360W available on the +12V rail. Have you noticed anything odd with the temperatures? Did this behavior only start after the upgrade? Does the behavior persist when you try your Phenom? Have you done any testing with the RAM?
I haven't done any overclocking with any of my parts. This started after the upgrade and I haven't tried using my Phenom at all after the upgrade. Also, I haven't done any testing with RAM and All the tempratures are fine underload.

DSzymborski

Titan
I'd run Memtest next. Probably not the issue if you've been running the RAM all this time, but it's also the easiest thing to check.

Which Phenom is it? How old is the PSU? You could very easily have a PSU that's starting to fail, especially if this wasn't a 125W Phenom and you're pushing it farther than you have in the past. EVGA only gives that PSU a two-year warranty for a reason; it's an ancient design with fairly poor quality parts inside, and it's only intended to be used for very basic rigs that won't cause much strain.

Jun 25, 2019
I'd run Memtest next. Probably not the issue if you've been running the RAM all this time, but it's also the easiest thing to check.

Which Phenom is it? How old is the PSU? You could very easily have a PSU that's starting to fail, especially if this wasn't a 125W Phenom and you're pushing it farther than you have in the past. EVGA only gives that PSU a two-year warranty for a reason; it's an ancient design with fairly poor quality parts inside, and it's only intended to be used for very basic rigs that won't cause much strain.
Alright so, my PSU is 2 almost 3 years old now but I have used it for less than 1.5 years and my old CPU was the Phenom II X4 965.