Question Random Computer Power Cuts: Critical Error 41 Power Kernel

Myusername468

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016
So recently in the past month my computer has been just randomly cutting power and restarting whilst playing games. I can't seem to find out what the issue is, but I'm assuming it has to be the power supply? Its hard for me to find the 3.3v, 5v and 12v values as most software doesn't show it for me, but I was able to figure it I believe. System information viewer shows VIN1 I/O +3.3 = 3.305, VIN3 +5 = 5.040, VIN2 +12= 12.240. I ran Prime 95 torture test overnight and there weren't any issues so I've ruled out RAM and CPU. I assume it must be motherboard or PSU? Can anybody help me figure out which part it is?

That kernel power event ID 41 error occurs when the computer is shut down, or it restarts unexpectedly, IMO. When a PC that is running Windows starts, a check is performed to determine whether the computer was shut down cleanly. If the computer was not shut down cleanly, a Kernel Power Event 41 message might be generated.

An event 41 is used to report that something unexpected happened that prevented Windows from shutting down correctly. To determine what may have happened and to identify a potential resolution, it is important to know what the computer was doing at the time just before the event occurred.

If event 41 is logged because power to the computer was interrupted, consider obtaining an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) such as a battery backup power supply. An underpowered or failing power supply may cause this behavior. For example, if you added RAM or additional devices or hard disks when this problem began, the power supply may cause issues.

Which Power supply do you have ? Try changing the POWER settings in Windows OS. But I think this Kernel-Power critical error is usually power-related, and indicate something wrong with the computer's PSU (Power Supply Unit). Oxidation on the back of the PSU switch might be the cause. In this case, contact a technician to check the PSU, as replacing it could solve the problem.

Another possible reason for this critical error is overheating. Computer usually shuts down when the temperature was too high ?

Myusername468

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016
That kernel power event ID 41 error occurs when the computer is shut down, or it restarts unexpectedly, IMO. When a PC that is running Windows starts, a check is performed to determine whether the computer was shut down cleanly. If the computer was not shut down cleanly, a Kernel Power Event 41 message might be generated.

An event 41 is used to report that something unexpected happened that prevented Windows from shutting down correctly. To determine what may have happened and to identify a potential resolution, it is important to know what the computer was doing at the time just before the event occurred.

If event 41 is logged because power to the computer was interrupted, consider obtaining an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) such as a battery backup power supply. An underpowered or failing power supply may cause this behavior. For example, if you added RAM or additional devices or hard disks when this problem began, the power supply may cause the problem.

Which Power supply do you have ? Try changing the POWER settings in Windows OS. But I think this Kernel-Power critical error is usually power-related, and indicate something wrong with the computer's PSU (Power Supply Unit). Oxidation on the back of the PSU switch might be the cause. In this case, contact a technician to check the PSU, as replacing it could solve the problem.

Another possible reason for this critical error is overheating. Computer usually shuts down when the temperature was too high ?
I have an EVGA SuperNOVA 80+ Gold that I've had for about 4 years now. I tweaked some settings like turning off fast startup and setting sleep to never and it still happened. I ran the computer with a Prime 95 torture test all night to see if heating might be the problem but I woke up and it was still on so I dont think thats it. I've only had it happen when I'm in game.