Random Computer Restart

xXF1REatW1LLXx

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014
My computer restarts very randomly. Sometimes seconds, minutes, or hours after boot. When it restarts, no fans or lights turn off, but it does restart. I've tried memtest, windows memory diagnostic, reinstalling windows, updating drivers, booting with only 1 stick of ram, changing ram slots, and probably more. Here are my computer specs:

AMD FX 6100 processor
Nvidia geforce 650 video card
2 sticks of 4gb ram
128 gb ssd primary drive
1tb hdd secondary drive
Asus m5a99x motherboard
600w roswill power supply

Any help appreciated.

kyler_sakumoto

Reputable
May 18, 2014
You could check the event viewer. If your running Windows 7, open the start menu, search for event viewer and hit enter. Click custom views, then Administrative Events on the left pane. Once it loads, click on any events that say critical or error.

If you see a event ID 41 error, click the details tab and check the values under Event Data (like BugcheckCode and PowerButtonTimestamp). If they're all 0 or 0x0 then the restarts are caused by a power or hardware failure.

This explains it a little more in depth http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504#method3

If you have an the event 41 error and the data values are all 0, then you could try testing your power supply, HDDs, or CPU.

PSU: Any psu tester like this one would be good. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899261023
This one comes with instructions and is pretty simple to use. If you need extra help, google how to use a psu tester.

HDD: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

CPU: Try downloading a program like CoreTemp or Real Temp to monitor your cpu usage and temperature. I would download and open these programs and set a camera up to film the screen, then wait for your computer to restart. That would allow you to check if your CPU temp or usage spikes right before the restart.

You can also try the program Prime95 to test your cpu. It takes several hours so I would let it run overnight, or before you go out.

xXF1REatW1LLXx

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014
So I checked the logs, and it was a kernel power error. The details had values of 0 and 0x0, so I guess that means it's a power/ hardware error. Should I still check the temp and psu tester? Thanks.

kyler_sakumoto

Reputable
May 18, 2014

Yeah, I would start with those. From what I've read, psu failures are pretty common ways for a computer to suddenly shut off or restart. Psu testers are pretty cheap, the one I listed is like 15 dollars, and they're a good way to make sure that your power supply is working.

Checking your CPU is also fairly straightforward and the programs I listed are free, so I would still go ahead and check it.

kyler_sakumoto

Reputable
May 18, 2014

TJ max is the maximum temperature your CPU is rated for. That means 90°C is the max temp it can go to, not what it is right now. Your actual CPU temperature is 23°C, which is fairly low.