Random computer shutoff?

So, my younger brother's computer seems to shut down and reboot randomly, usually when he is in a more intensive application. I've checked the CPU cooler immediately after shutdown and it doesn't feel particularly warm; there was a fan in his case that wasn't working for whatever reason, but I fixed that and am hoping it will resolve the issue.

However, one thing I did notice is his PSU got pretty damn hot, almost burn-y.

With this as a starting point, does anyone have any suggestions of what to investigate to fix this issue?

I think he has a thermaltake 600W, powering an FX6300+ and a GTX 760 3GB.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

It's not one of the Purepowers, or the TR2 is it? They are in the not recommended tier: https://community.newegg.com/eggxpert/computer_hardware/f/135081/t/45344.aspx?Redirected=true
If it is one of those, the PSU would be my first concern.

Not on the list, I just checked and it's a TT Smart Series 650W PSU.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you can't lay your hand on the PSU w/o discomfort, it is probably too hot. It may be shutting down the system to save itself. Is it in a bottom mount case? If so check that the fan is running and that there is no dust clogging it. Be sure the case isn't sitting on a carpet where the PSU fan can't get enough air flow.

I'll double check that. I think I may have fixed the problem when I fixed the fan though - though I haven't had him put the side panel back on yet. I'll have him do that tomorrow and see what happens.

I'll also note the power supply and where it stands in all this.
I got the extended warranty (Through the shop) on it because I really don't trust TT, but my younger brother was on a budget so I had to sub out a better option to make it work.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

That would be around 90% of all electronics.

90% of electronics are sold by Chinese companies?
I've never had issues with Western resellers, but I've consistently had problems with Chinese-Manufacture-Chinese-Resellers like Acer, Coolermaster, Thermaltake....

I've never had companies like Logitech leave me out in the rain.