Question Random CPU core voltage spikes i7 7700k

thricemin

Reputable
Feb 17, 2016
Just installed an i7 7700k. I will randomly, once in a while get a real big spike that hits 4.0 volts.

Kind of has me worried. Is this normal? Its not overclocked and I have a Z170-AR motherboard.

Here is an example.

https://ibb.co/J7XKywL

Last edited:

thricemin

Reputable
Feb 17, 2016
That might be due to poor VRMs on your motherboard... which you failed to include.

And it doesn't show the time the volts was so high.

You are right. I should have included that. Its a Z170-AR

It really is at random I might go 20 mins or even an hour without getting one. I could just be browsing the internet. When i game, it seems to be consistent with no spikes like normal.

Last edited:
You are right. I should have included that. Its a Z170-AR

It really is at random I might go 20 mins or even an hour without getting one. I could just be browsing the internet. When i game, it seems to be consistent with no spikes like normal.

Make sure your motherboard is running the latest bios. Also I'm pretty sure that's a bug within the program. 4.0v would kill any cpu instantly. Use CPU-Z, asus has garbage utilities that cause BSOD's.

That might be due to poor VRMs on your motherboard... which you failed to include.

This was only an issue with AMD's previous FX lineup because of the higher TDP chips. People stuck 8350's and 9590's on cheap $70 motherboards with no heatsinks on the mosfets and crappy power phases.

Last edited:

thricemin

Reputable
Feb 17, 2016
Make sure your motherboard is running the latest bios. Also I'm pretty sure that's a bug within the program. 4.0v would kill any cpu instantly. Use CPU-Z, asus has garbage utilities that cause BSOD's.

I did update the BIOS before installing. It has to be the asus utility. I thought that was crazy high. I could not even find anything on 4.0 volts lol