Question Random CPU spiking with liquid cooler

Apr 10, 2022
So, my CPU will spike to 75 Celsius pretty much every time I need to do something that's even in the slightest workload for my CPU. I have a cooler master M240L with one radiator. Everything is setup as it should be and my mobo settings are set to use it as a water cooler. I wanna know if I maybe have something setup wrong or if this is something I should worry about? Happy to give more info whenever needed. Appreciate it yall.

PC specs:
i7-10700f
RTX 3060 XC
32gb G.SKILL Ripjaws 3000Mhz
Thermaltake 600W PSU
MSI B560M Pro-VDH

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please read this well written article/guide/thread by my colleague;
section 4 + section 13

Thermaltake 600W PSU

Thermaltake is the brand of the unit, while 600W is the advertised wattage of said unit. Model for the unit? If it spikes to 75 Deg C, what does it go back down to? BIOS version for your motherboard?

Make and model of your case?

Apr 10, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please read this well written article/guide/thread by my colleague;
section 4 + section 13

Thermaltake 600W PSU

Thermaltake is the brand of the unit, while 600W is the advertised wattage of said unit. Model for the unit? If it spikes to 75 Deg C, what does it go back down to? BIOS version for your motherboard?

Make and model of your case?

Thank you! Always come down to this site for answers with my issues so I figured why not join the party :)
It shoots back down between 50- 60 when idle.
This would be the exact power supply I have atm.
My case at the moment is a Cooler Master Q300L.

Vax

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
Thank you! Always come down to this site for answers with my issues so I figured why not join the party :)
It shoots back down between 50- 60 when idle.
This would be the exact power supply I have atm.
My case at the moment is a Cooler Master Q300L.

Hello! Welcome in! :D
Is it a new CPU cooler? It's common for a new AiO(All in One. Pre-made instead of custom built) water cooler to be a bit spikey the first month or so of being used. Think of it like a new shoe. Better, sure, but not quite as comfortable as the old one yet!
Mine did the same thing, and sometimes it even has a small spike still. But if it's just a spike, as in it goes to 70-75 for a split nanosecond and then drops right back down to your usual temps? You'll be fine. Keep it as is for a couple weeks and see if the temps it spikes to get lower steadily. If so, your cooler's just learning how to do its job properly.

Apr 10, 2022
Hello! Welcome in! :D
Is it a new CPU cooler? It's common for a new AiO(All in One. Pre-made instead of custom built) water cooler to be a bit spikey the first month or so of being used. Think of it like a new shoe. Better, sure, but not quite as comfortable as the old one yet!
Mine did the same thing, and sometimes it even has a small spike still. But if it's just a spike, as in it goes to 70-75 for a split nanosecond and then drops right back down to your usual temps? You'll be fine. Keep it as is for a couple weeks and see if the temps it spikes to get lower steadily. If so, your cooler's just learning how to do its job properly.
I've had it for a couple months now. It was amazing when I first got it but has recently started doing this. Not only that, I don't think I'm getting ideal temps during gaming either, as I typically float around the 80 degrees for most games I play.

Vax

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
I've had it for a couple months now. It was amazing when I first got it but has recently started doing this. Not only that, I don't think I'm getting ideal temps during gaming either, as I typically float around the 80 degrees for most games I play.

Yeah 80 Degrees is definitely a bit intense.
Did you mount the pump correctly? They can be a bit awkward.
I'd try and re-apply thermal paste and re-mount the pump. You might need an extra set of hands to do it properly, if you have an extra set available at home. Just to hold it down and steady it while you put the first couple screws in.
As for thermal paste, remember that less = more. The size of a grain of rice is usually all you need. If you put that amount on, unmount it and see if it didn't get to the edges. If it didn't, and there's naked metal touching between the pump and the CPU, add a little bit extra paste so it looks like -|- on the CPU, then re-mount. I also wouldn't be afraid to mount it a bit harder if there was some give in the screws. Obviously don't overdo it, but the more pressure you get on the CPU the easier it is for heat to transfer from your CPU to the copper plate on your pump.

Apr 10, 2022
Yeah 80 Degrees is definitely a bit intense.
Did you mount the pump correctly? They can be a bit awkward.
I'd try and re-apply thermal paste and re-mount the pump. You might need an extra set of hands to do it properly, if you have an extra set available at home. Just to hold it down and steady it while you put the first couple screws in.
As for thermal paste, remember that less = more. The size of a grain of rice is usually all you need. If you put that amount on, unmount it and see if it didn't get to the edges. If it didn't, and there's naked metal touching between the pump and the CPU, add a little bit extra paste so it looks like -|- on the CPU, then re-mount. I also wouldn't be afraid to mount it a bit harder if there was some give in the screws. Obviously don't overdo it, but the more pressure you get on the CPU the easier it is for heat to transfer from your CPU to the copper plate on your pump.
The pump is mounted on but I think maybe the thermal paste just went bad. I will definitely have to take the time to do that on my day off work.
My radiator is setup where the fan is on the right hand side of the radiator, so the fan would be closest to the outside of the case. I have the fan pulling in cool air from the outside. Would there be anything wrong with my current configuration of my radiator?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Is the pump running at 100%? If not, go into bios and set it that way, then monitor the cpu's behavior after.

A couple months old... amazing when you first got it...
Probably just dust buildup then?

The CM Q300L is an odd one. On one side, people have reported this chassis having poor airflow. On the other side, others have said the airflow is fine. It's as if there's 2 versions of this thing or something...

Apr 10, 2022
Here again because after a motherboard replacement and some new thermal paste applied, my CPU is getting even hotter now...
Literally idling, It got to 65c and just booting up Warzone made it spike and stay at 75-80 for a bit. The new motherboard I got is the ASUS TUF B560M Plus-Wi-Fi
I'm so confused and I'm not sure what to even do at this point.