Random Crash Help (With Analysis Screenshots)

SlayZombi

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
So I've been getting random black screens on/off for about a year or so along with BSOD's and crashes. Here's a WhoCrashed analysis of the offenders. Can anyone give some pointers on solving it?
45db4c96050342c198b586346497accc.png

Solution
I believe I solved the problem. I narrowed it down to some crash dumps involving "athrx.sys" which is an Aethros wireless device. I don't even have an Aethros product. I just deleted the .exe from system32 and problems appear to have diminished. Thanks all!
Just FYI: The files indicated as 'causing' the problem are the core Windows files that makes Windows work.
So as suggested "something" is making them break, but NO the WhoCrash isn't going to tell us what did, only careful analysis as suggested.

1) can you identify WHEN this happens. I.E. When I run BF1 on HIGH it crashes?
2) can you repeatedly 'cause' the situation to happen (specific steps)?
These two can narrow down 'what' to look at and what are the ingredients
3) Have you done all the 'basics' AS OF this post?

Weekly-Monthly Basics:

Did you install all Windows Updates? Check them and repeat till ALL are installed.

Download and run Slim Drivers (http://www.driverupdate.net/downloads/SlimDrivers-setup.exe), or try Driver Booster (http://www.iobit.com/en/recommend/sd.php?name=driver_booster_free) install all the latest updates but you don't need to reboot until you do the last update

Go to www.filehippo.com, download Malwarebytes, go to CUSTOM Scan and set it to do a full system scan (by DEFAULT IT DOESN"T DO THAT, and AntiVirus doesn't pick up alot of malware)

If you didn't pay the subscription for your Norton / McAfee, or relying on Microsoft Defender, immediately remove the pay for for AV and download AVIRA, AVG, Comodo or Panda (again from www.filehippo.com) then go to CUSTOM Scan and set it to do a full system scan (by DEFAULT IT DOESN"T DO THAT)

*Repeat the AV/Malware scans till the system comes up clean*

Download and run SPECCY, highlight, then copy, and paste here the first tab to show your idle temps. Install MSI Afterburner, go to the settings and ENABLE the settings to show in OSD (you have to select each 'thing' you want to see, CPU1 Temp, GPU Temp, etc). Then monitor when things normally 'crash' and do you see a problem occuring (OMG! My CPU is at 99C!).

Download AUTORUNS and turn off anything NOT critical on startup, so you don't need to run JAVAScheduler to check for Java updates everytime you start your computer for example. BE CAREFUL AND KNOW WHAT YOUR TURNING OFF BEFORE YOU DO IT.

Open Computer, Can Air dust out the bunnies and use paint brush on the vents, coolers, fans, etc.

SlayZombi

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Tom, most of the things you suggest I have already done luckily! My temps are great and I monitor them as I'm gaming and on desktop. CPU rarely if ever goes above 50 C and GPU tops out at about 80 C on the highest settings in gaming. Doing a run through of MemTest has yielded no bad signs and Prime95 never maxes out my temps. This problem has been happening through multiple Windows installs, meaning at least 4 fresh installs of different versions of Windows 7 so I'm guessing it isn't anything related to this specific windows copy. to answer your questions:

1. This issue especially happens when I leave my computer on with the monitor off for extended periods of time. I come back and turn the monitor on and it's a black screen as if someone pulled up a black screensaver with no way of making it display anything. The computer seems to run fine but I must force reset it to get it to display again. Lately, the BSOD's (which are something new) have been happening when I play games such as Overwatch, CSGO, or BF4. Artifacts are also sometimes present.

2. To cause the situation most of the time I can just leave the PC on and turn the monitor off for a day or so (sleep modes are disabled by the way). I've also tried many versions of Catalyst software to narrow down GPU drivers.

3. Yes, all basics are done. Windows is fully updated, drivers are updated as far as I know, and I have Avira.

Didn't need to do 4, if one refresh install this still occurs, then the issue is totally hardware, aka the GPU is biting it.

Well the sleep mode idea was a good one, but honestly you shouldn't have the exact same issue with a fresh install.
To me it sounds like your GPU hits a point and doesn't recover, which sounds faulty. If it still has warranty I would identify these specific things I have narrowed down you post. Just saying 4 fresh installs alone will prove it isn't any software / driver / malware / etc. issue NORMALLY.

Now there is two other parts that MAY contribute to this, that I seen occur before.
1) HDD has bad sectors / failing, since the software (no matter how many reinstalls) relies on the data being ' pure ' 0 or 1 an if the HDD is giving a fuzzy 0.5 answer throws the whole thing into a tither like your having

2) PSU is poor quality - Common issue actually (see the TH articles on it). Though it may say 500W (for example) your actually getting 375W, and then when it goes into either low power state (when you walk away) or demand alot (playing games) it fails to deliver the reliable power it should.

Way to resolve this:
You need a second system / parts, either a friend, family member, or bringing it to a Mom and Pop shop. You need to test the same issues with second 'reliable' known working and replace out one item at a time. I don't remember seeing what you said you had for PSU, but I start there, then HDD. You can immediately eliminate GPU by just swapping it into another system and play the titles there and see if it causes issue.

SlayZombi

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Well the fresh installs were from a faulty SSD that kept forcing me to reinstall Windows when it would corrupt, but I definitely see your points on how it isn't a software issue most likely. My GPU is an R7 260X with some aging and heavy use so I suspect that may be it. It artifacts every once in awhile even without any heat issues, sometimes right after I start a game and I'm in the title screen. My PSU is an EVGA fully modular and with the good reviews and high performance I've experienced, I'm imagining that's not the case. I will definitely take a look at my GPU and my HDD. Now that I think about it, sometimes WhoCrashed tells me that something "amtlib64" (not exactly the name) is the culprit of a crash, which relates to the GPU.

SlayZombi

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
I believe I solved the problem. I narrowed it down to some crash dumps involving "athrx.sys" which is an Aethros wireless device. I don't even have an Aethros product. I just deleted the .exe from system32 and problems appear to have diminished. Thanks all!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS