Random crashed no idea why

Purplecat

Reputable
May 29, 2014
My computer will at random times crash with no BSOD except the lights on my case and video card are still on with the power button unresponsive. After turning off the PSU waiting a little while and turning it back on the computer won't post but the same lights will come back on with me needing to switch off the power supply for it to turn off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Good hopefully that was the problem. I've never heard of a SATA cable doing that. The cable either works or it fails. And then you would have drive errors.

Purplecat

Reputable
May 29, 2014
Is there any way for me to test that it is the power supply because it's basically brand new and when the crash occurs all of my hardware is still on with no response to any peripherals.

It does sound like the power supply. First off, turn the power supply off and unplug the power supply for thirty seconds or so. Then check your system.

There are several ways to test the power supply. You can swap it out with a working power supply. You can check the power supply with a multimeter. You can check it out with a PSU tester. Or, you can take it to a PC repair shop and have them test it.

Purplecat

Reputable
May 29, 2014
I individually tested all of my parts checking to see if any of my RAM had gone bad then I swapped out my PSU for an older one I had lying around but the issue was still there I had the idea to switch out the SATA cable that connected to my hard drive and now it's working fine I haven't crashed since about 8:30 pm.

TRENDING THREADS