Random crashes and freezes

Thriceborn

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
Upgraded my PC earlier this year and had nothing but problems since then. I got a new OS (Windows 8.1, updated), new MB (asus Maximum Hero VI), new RAM (1866 4x2 Gskill ripjaws), new CPU (Haswell I5 unlocked but not overclocked yet).

I cannot find the causes of the crashes or how to stop them. Build and details of problems and what I have tried so far below.

Build:

Haswell i5 unlocked K version but not overclocked

Asus Maximus Hero VI

Gskill Ripjaws 1866 4gbx2 (currently only one plugged in to see if the problem was one of the RAM bars)

Nvidia GTX 480

OS drive is a Samsung SSD evo 250 gb

Three data hard drives:

Old Western Digital caviar 320 gb (not installed currently) - HD1

4 year old 1.5 gb Seagate 7200 rpm (not installed currently) - HD2

New Seagate 3 gb 7200 rpm (installed currently) - HD3

Problems

Motherboard did not recognize RAM as 1866. Tried to modify in BIOS but PC did not boot successfully so I have them kept in 1600.

Random freezes of entire PC (sometimes audio would freeze as well). Zero response, manual reboot only solution. Has not happened in game at all. Only during use of browsers or even when idle. --> has not happened since I changed the RAM bars.

Random reboots of PC. Loss of power and restarts. Started to happen after I switched the RAM bars. (switched from freezing screen in problem 2, to this entire crash/reboot....)

Windows and BIOS started to not recognize HD1. Sometimes the PC would take 5mns to load up windows and would either find the HD or not. This started to happen more and more often until the hard drive was no longer recognized at all. I tried a different SATA port and a different cable. No change.

Started to have I/O device errors on HD2. Could not move certain files/folders nor could I delete them. Was able to copy them through.

Changed hard drives and bought a new one which installed fine. However HD2 started to not be recognized by the OS (same as problem 4).

What I have tried so far:

Tried switching HD drives but problem appeared on the smaller drive.

Tried using different SATA ports and cables

Tried switching RAM bars but that only exchanged problem 2 for problem 3.

Ran tests on hard drives with windows and seagate software. Both found zero problems.

Tried using old RAM (1600 2x2 gb) and didn't see any problems.

Found some people had issues with recent Chrome and older drives for the onboard audio but I updated the drivers and I used Firefox and the problems persist.

Any help/ideas to find the causes and solution would be most welcome...I suspect the RAM or the Motherboard to be honest but I am not sure where or why the hard drive issues come from. Perhaps they are just related to damage caused from the frequent crashes? The folders with the I/O device errors were always Steam or Nexus related which were usually running at the time.