mopperkontje

Reputable
Mar 7, 2016
Hello everyone,

Im in a bit of a pickle. I bought a 2nd hand system from a third party and ofcourse as many of these stories go. It went badly.

Sometimes the PC doesnt want to boot the first few times. And other times it just randomly crashes. Sometimes when I have not touched the PC for a while and want to use a more extensive task like chrome and sometimes while I'm alt-tabbing between programs and sometimes when I don't seem to be doing anything at all.

Let me start with the specs:

Intel Core I7 5820K
Gigabyte X99M-Gaming 5
2 X DDR 4 - BLS8G4D240FSA.16FAD Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB
Gigabyte NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2070 (Newish)
RM750 Corsair power supply

9p1XHLJ.png

DqbdN1o.png

N4Lecb1.png

Nn9Hrci.png

KhZMoHj.png

Harddisks:
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
Samsung HD502HI
ST2000DM001

Things I have already tried:

1, In power settings made sure that the harddisks can't be turned off to save power. Set them to never.
3jhmWEi.png

2, Checked the health of the harddisks using Hard Disk Sentinel.
GiofNYN.png

- I'm not sure if that can be a problem, but I'm booting from the 840 EVO. But it is shown as disk 3. I have read suggestions that booting issues can also happen, because of a seperate boot orders from different disks. So if you guys think that is possible I could try and remove the HDD's. But, I personally don't think this is it.

3, Dusted and cleaned out the PC using the alcoholic product and airspray.

4, Double checked if everything was properly connecting.

5, Removed external hardware.

6, Went into BIOS and made sure the CPU's dont idle (sleep) when inactive.

7, Made sure the temps are low.
DRe1TSW.png

8, Connected the power supply DIRECTLY in a wall socket.

9, Checked the memory list from the motherboard.

https://www.pc-specs.com/mobo/GigaByte/GigaByte_X99M_Gaming_5/3042/Compatible_RAM

Its on the list.

10, Did the Memory check from microsoft and the memtest86 - 1 error.

t1D0qje.jpg
---

198ulEL.jpg

Could this be it???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Mopperkontje

Solution
do the test on single stick. then take it out and put another one in. chances 2 sticks are broken are second to none.
in one of cases I dealt with in past this was the reason.

it is not 750w that cannot handle it. but as PSU gets old (very very simply saying) power delivery gets lower as some components inside PSU get broken like capacitors etc. so PSU will work but will fail under high load.
mine did extremely well until i bought 4k screen. so GPU RAM CPU worked perfect for years but under 4k load 700W PSU could not manage so I have bought 650W(yes smaller) but 100% working one. you really need a 600W PSU for your setup.
To eliminate this is PSU fault may I recommend running OCCT program and run POWER test for 5 minutes.
this program...

ficler1977

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2013
Make sure all your BIOS settings are back to default. even minor overclock on RAM might result in this behavior. best way to do it is "load setup defaults". instead of changing each options.
or
check voltage printed on RAM and set it up in BIOS.
make sure you have single channel(yes its dual channel but for now).
or
check if single RAM unit runs well. check both separately to locate faulty one.

Other thing might be PSU.
Mine was fine unless i bought 4k screen. at 4k resolution power consumption rises and PC restarts.
Mine old one was a decent 700W (where I only needed 500w) and i had it fro myears. So your PSU might have reached its capacity above which PC will restart/ switch off.
GET PSU from friend/enemy/wife's lover for an hour and check.

good luck.

mopperkontje

Reputable
Mar 7, 2016
Thank you for your response.

Make sure all your BIOS settings are back to default. even minor overclock on RAM might result in this behavior. best way to do it is "load setup defaults". instead of changing each options.

I have tried to put it on default in bios (which it still stands on atm.) and the problem still occurred.

check voltage printed on RAM and set it up in BIOS.
make sure you have single channel(yes its dual channel but for now).
or
check if single RAM unit runs well. check both separately to locate faulty one.

Want me to do the memtest again on a single stick and/or single channel? Or just use it for a day or two and see if it crashes or not?

Other thing might be PSU.
Mine was fine unless i bought 4k screen. at 4k resolution power consumption rises and PC restarts.
Mine old one was a decent 700W (where I only needed 500w) and i had it fro myears. So your PSU might have reached its capacity above which PC will restart/ switch off.
GET PSU from friend/enemy/wife's lover for an hour and check.

I was thinking of the PSU as well, but I would think that this unit which can do 750 watt should have been enough. I only have low watt PSU's laying around. Will have to figure out where to get one to test it out. How much would I need if 750 watt can't handle it?

PS: does the pc try to boot up a vr headset while turning on? Because that is quite a lot of power as well, but I have never crashed using a vr headset before, because it turns down the graphics of the other screens while using it. Or atleast it seems that way.

ficler1977

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2013
do the test on single stick. then take it out and put another one in. chances 2 sticks are broken are second to none.
in one of cases I dealt with in past this was the reason.

it is not 750w that cannot handle it. but as PSU gets old (very very simply saying) power delivery gets lower as some components inside PSU get broken like capacitors etc. so PSU will work but will fail under high load.
mine did extremely well until i bought 4k screen. so GPU RAM CPU worked perfect for years but under 4k load 700W PSU could not manage so I have bought 650W(yes smaller) but 100% working one. you really need a 600W PSU for your setup.
To eliminate this is PSU fault may I recommend running OCCT program and run POWER test for 5 minutes.
this program will suck 100% of PSU. is PC will restart than this is the guilty part.
this way you can check RAM., temps etc as well.
Download OCCT

Solution