Question Random crashes gets kinda fixed with RAM removal...

Einherjar25

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016
Hello, I have been following this website since forever. Although I never actually posted anything I have found many answers here. The community is amazing. My question is as follow ; My PC keeps crashing. When I removed one RAM stick it's fine but here's the thing; When I switched around the remaining RAM with the "removed RAM" it's still fine. Seems like a have a CPU or MB problem. Is their a solid way to know which one is defective? I changed the CPU myself and it was my first time. Maybe I damage something in the process. Which one is more likely to get damage? The board or the CPU? I have no spare parts to switch around and try. Obviously I'd like to replace only one of them! Thank you!

Hello, I have been following this website since forever. Although I never actually posted anything I have found many answers here. The community is amazing. My question is as follow ; My PC keeps crashing. When I removed one RAM stick it's fine but here's the thing; When I switched around the remaining RAM with the "removed RAM" it's still fine. Seems like a have a CPU or MB problem. Is their a solid way to know which one is defective? I changed the CPU myself and it was my first time. Maybe I damage something in the process. Which one is more likely to get damage? The board or the CPU? I have no spare parts to switch around and try. Obviously I'd like to replace only one of them! Thank you!
Did you clear your bios when you switched your cpu? it could be conflicting information between the old cpu and new cpu. You could not need anthing it could just be that turn your pc off and unplug the psu from the wall, and pull the "watch type" battery from the mobo then hold your power button for thirty seconds x2. then plug the battery back in and your psu then power on this may help.

Einherjar25

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016
Did you clear your bios when you switched your cpu? it could be conflicting information between the old cpu and new cpu. You could not need anthing it could just be that turn your pc off and unplug the psu from the wall, and pull the "watch type" battery from the mobo then hold your power button for thirty seconds x2. then plug the battery back in and your psu then power on this may help.

Hi, I need to ask a question before trying those steps. The MB was installed at the same time as the CPU. Both brand new. Do I need to do any of those steps and/or both anyway to try to correct the problem? Thanks.

Hi, I need to ask a question before trying those steps. The MB was installed at the same time as the CPU. Both brand new. Do I need to do any of those steps and/or both anyway to try to correct the problem? Thanks.
i would still try to clear the bios, because if you bought them new it could have been test by manufacturer and then sold. which means it has component caching in it from previous parts if bought used again the same issues... if if clearing the bios doesn't help i have one more suggestion you try for it but trying this first may help.

Einherjar25

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016
i would still try to clear the bios, because if you bought them new it could have been test by manufacturer and then sold. which means it has component caching in it from previous parts if bought used again the same issues... if if clearing the bios doesn't help i have one more suggestion you try for it but trying this first may help.

The system seems to have been stable for hours now but then again sometime it did kept running for hours without crashing. You'de be interested to know that I tried booting by moving RAM from slot 2 and 4 to slot 1 and 3 and the systeme didn't want to boot. It started normally with nothing onscreen and after a little while, restarted by itself. Rinse and repeat. Nothing ever showed up onscreen.

The system seems to have been stable for hours now but then again sometime it did kept running for hours without crashing. You'de be interested to know that I tried booting by moving RAM from slot 2 and 4 to slot 1 and 3 and the systeme didn't want to boot. It started normally with nothing onscreen and after a little while, restarted by itself. Rinse and repeat. Nothing ever showed up onscreen.
are you ocing your cpu at all well doing this?

Einherjar25

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016
when you oc your cpu you oc your ram slightly with it so you may need to set you ram speeds to a step lower then what there sold at
I did not know that! My RAM is 8 gig DDR 4 2400 x 2. I do remember seeing a section to "play" with the RAM settings in my BIOS. My CPU his a Ryzen 5 1400 and I tried to move it from 3.2 to 3.9. I think my voltate was something like 1.3 and well my RAM, standard. What are we talking about here when OCing the ram? At around what speed am I looking for? Thanks!

I did not know that! My RAM is 8 gig DDR 4 2400 x 2. I do remember seeing a section to "play" with the RAM settings in my BIOS. My CPU his a Ryzen 5 1400 and I tried to move it from 3.2 to 3.9. I think my voltate was something like 1.3 and well my RAM, standard. What are we talking about here when OCing the ram? At around what speed am I looking for? Thanks!
If you have a 2200 option i would set it to 2200, but there are some mobos where the next step down is 2000. what ever the next speed step slower is next on your mobo's ram speeds

Einherjar25

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016
If you have a 2200 option i would set it to 2200, but there are some mobos where the next step down is 2000. what ever the next speed step slower is next on your mobo's ram speeds

Ok so I am trying 3.9 with 1.35 volt and the ram is lowered to next step down, which was 2133. I am going to see how this goes but I should have my answer soon because usually, when i left it on overnight, I wokeup and it would have crashed. Your help is appreciated. If you have futher suggestions, please feel free to type them in! ;)