Commendable
Jun 4, 2020
Specs:
Intel i5-7600k 3.8GHz CPU
GeForce GTX 1050ti GPU
MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon (MS -7A63)
16 GB DDR4 RAM
Windows 10

Around a week ago, I started having some major issues. I was getting BSODs and my games were crashing. At this time, I was on windows 7.

I updated to Windows 10 in an effort to fix the issues. I was still having issues, so I did the reset install with the option to keep my files. I did a fresh install of my GPU driver next. I have done the /scannow command, scanned for virus (AVG Free), checked my CPU/GPU temperature, tried an older GPU driver, and while I dont crash nearly as much, I still crash often or rarely get a BSOD and it is driving me crazy.

Some of the BSOD errors I've gotten throughout this whole process:
KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
and one about nvlddmkm.sys failing.

I know most of these relate to the GPU drivers, at least from what google tells me.

If anyone can help, please save my sanity. I lost a fair bit of info in the reset installation (didn't have enough room for backup).

Last edited:
First, to completely rule out GPU drivers, use an application called Display Driver Uninstaller. Run this app in safe mode, it will completely remove all installed display drivers. Sometimes this can resolve the issue. Then install the last known good driver, and if you don't know which one is the last good one, install the latest version.

If this does not fix the issue, next step would be to test the RAM. Use memtest64, there should be 0 errors, and run it for at least one complete pass, two or three if you have the time. If there are errors in this test, your RAM is defective and has to be replaced.

Also, list your power supply and motherboard model.

SteelBlood

Commendable
Jun 4, 2020
I ran Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode, and freshly installed the latest GPU driver through GeForce Experience.

I also did memtest64 (from TechPowerUp if that matters). When run normally, it would freeze my PC before finishing checking the maximum amount of RAM, at roughly 14.5k Mb. When ran in safe mode, it would not freeze, but would still check roughly the same amount of 14.5k Mb. From what I've found this was due to Windows reserving RAM to operate, not corrupt RAM. In safe mode, I did 5+ loop checks with no errors.

I updated my original post to include my motherboard model, and will include the power supply model as soon as I get a chance to open my PC case and take a look. In the meantime, I do know that whichever model it is, it has enough power for all components unless something has failed.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help. It's been a rough week (for a lot of people) and this is just the last thing I need right now.

SteelBlood

Commendable
Jun 4, 2020
Okay so I updated my BIOS, and I'm not 100% sure it fixed the problem, but it has at least majorly helped. For comparison, before I would crash on usually the 1st match of a certain game, I could rarely make it to a 2nd match before crashing. Now I made it to match 6 before a crash, and did 2 more after that without crashing. That 1 crash may have just been the game so I'm going to have to do further testing.

If that was the fix, thank you so, SO, much for helping. This has been a major headache. Will post updates if it was not fixed.

TRENDING THREADS