Random Crashes only during Steam games

Status
Not open for further replies.

sorcath

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Hello,

Recently I've been experiencing some issues with random crashes only with steam games. I've run furtest and passed. Downloaded SpeedFan and everything is nice and cool. All my drivers are up to date and my OS has installed all updates. I've also run multiple antivirus and malware to make sure I'm not infected.

Temps are:
Temp1: 31c
Temp2: 24c
Temp3: -128c
HDO: 26c
CPU: 31c
MB: 24c
GPU: 32c
Core: OC

Hardward:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 925 2.8 GHz (OC to 3.03)
RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws 8GB(2x4) 240 pin DDR3 1600 (12800) - (clocked at 1440)
MB: Asus M4A89TD- Pro/USB
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770 (OC)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0 32MB cache
PSU: PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 950W

I have no discs to burn memtest to, so is there any alternative? Also, these crashes have been happening since before OC.

I opened up Event Viewer and found an error code under -Applications, labled: Source- WMI: Event ID- 10
"Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected."

I would figure that if my GPU could pass furtest on the fullest test without it shutting down then my PSU is handling the load. Also I don't believe that 950W is too little for what I'm running.

I've also read in 1 thread that could be a problem.

sorcath

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
The WMI error being the problem, that is.

I am literally at my wits end here trying to resolve this issue.

Also, I would like to add that I am able to play other games outside of steam such as League of Legends for extreme amounts of time without any problems set at full graphics and no stuttering, restarting or crashes.

chriscornell

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
I started having A LOT of problems with Steam after Valve introduced Steam Cloud. Though it's smart in theory, it's not working as intended - so try disabling 'Steam Cloud Synchronization' in the settings menu.

sorcath

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Would this cause a WMI error like I listed? They've been croping up pretty regularly around the times when my system crashes.

Also, would this cause my system to crash? I would think it would just cause Steam to crash.

sorcath

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Going to give turning off Steam Cloud and see if that resolves my issues, but since I find the WMI issue listed near every crash I doubt that's the issue unless they're 1 in the same.

chriscornell

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009

I'm out of ideas then, I've not experienced Steam causing system crashes besides the Cloud-Sync. related ones. sorry :??:

sorcath

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Bah, don't know if I'm double or triple posting or not because I can't see my posts and my net keeps kicking out but the website says it's preventing me from posting duplicate posts.

Anyways, WMI is happening after crashes but I can't find any crash info in Event Viewer.

windryyder

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
I would test the RAM. I had a similar problem where I couldnt play borderlands on steam for more than a few minutes before it would crash. I was able to play non steam games like mass effect 2 and fallout 3 for hours without an issue. I ended up changing my Ram out and that solved the issue for me. I think windows 7 has a built in memory test you can run at startup if you cannot get memtest on a cd. You could also take out ram and try playing with a lesser amount to see if that helps. Try one 4gb stick first, play for a while, see if it crashs or not. If it does crash, try changing the ram to a different ram slot as well before changing the ram to the other stick to rule out a bad ram slot as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS