[SOLVED] Random crashes/unable to post

Feb 16, 2021
for the past 6 months or so ive been having intermittent issues with my PC crashing at random points, in games, in browser or just on desktop. When it crashes its never a blue screen the screen simply freezes on a strange repeating pattern of colors, and any playing audio hangs. Sometimes it will do this but the mouse is movable for a few seconds. On occasion the PC will turn off or i will have to turn it off after this.
After i turn it off it might turn back on after pushing the button and be perfectly fine for hours or even days. However sometimes it wont come back on unless i leave it alone for several hours. Now it refuses to come on at all. It wont post, no video output but the fans are drive spin up.

Specs

its barely a year old, the PSU and RAM are not new parts.
I have tried:
-reseating the RAM
-reconnecting all the cables and GPU
-reinstalling GPU drivers
-virus scans (if the system will even start)
-measuring the voltages on the PSU (theyre all fine)

the only thing that helped were reinstalling the GPU drivers which lasted a month until now.

Solution
If the system isn't POSTing at all now, try resetting the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes and then putting it back again.

See whether you're getting a POST.
Try to get into the BIOS by mashing f12 or delete or whatever the BIOS key is for your motherboard.
Try to boot from a portable linux usb stick to see if your PC can boot properly into an OS withought any hiccups.

I think a fresh windows install could fix all of these problems, that is if you can get your system to POST.

sds20020024

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
If the system isn't POSTing at all now, try resetting the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes and then putting it back again.

See whether you're getting a POST.
Try to get into the BIOS by mashing f12 or delete or whatever the BIOS key is for your motherboard.
Try to boot from a portable linux usb stick to see if your PC can boot properly into an OS withought any hiccups.

I think a fresh windows install could fix all of these problems, that is if you can get your system to POST.

Solution
Feb 16, 2021
randomly came back. i put a different GPU in and managed to get it to come back. i found a feature in windows called "reliability monitor" and it shows all my previous crashes as video hardware error. i dont see how using a linux boot stick or fresh windows install would help with the system not even posting. im starting to get the impression its two issues.
  1. previous GPU was crap and causing random crashes
  2. mysterious magic stopping computer from posting and even readhing BIOS

Feb 16, 2021
ok so swapped GPU and gave it some time and i get the exact same issues so its clearly not the GPU since ive never had problems with the one thats in it now.
still getting weird graphical glitches or the screen shaking and GPU errors and crashes. ill try a fresh windows install next