Random crashes with sound bug and sometimes vertical lines

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

T-K

Commendable
Apr 10, 2017
SOLVED: New gpu solved issue!

My PC crashes a lot. Sometimes it can be 2-4 times a day and others nothing at all. The crash it self can happen at any time and lately I've gotten a white screen with a sound bug. Before I had a lot of vertical lines and usually green/black screen with a sound bug as well. Then I would have to hold the power button to shut off the system. The reset button works rarely. When I turn it back on the only problem is that I need to replug my wireless usb adapter each time as well.

I've never really managed to get a crash report but my event log says under critical;
41 Kernel-Power

and somtimes 404 Taskscheduler.

I've tried to doing a clean install of Windows 10 and updating drivers and so on. I've also disabled many sound/audio devices since it I've heard it can cause a bug or something since I somehow have many devices showing.

The reason I ask for help is because im planning on getting a new graphic card because I've read around that it might be the problem. I remember it crashed giving me a warning in windows before but fixed it with drivers I think. Then since I own a good GPU I will gonna put in a lot of money for a new one and if it doesnt solve it then it's hopeless.

Specs:

Windows 10
AMD Radeon R9 200 / HD 7900 Series
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz
RAM - 16 GB
Silver power 750watt
NETGEAR WNDA3100v2 N600 Wireless Duel Band USB Adapter

Quick Updates:

It shouldnt be a overheat problem because I can play high demanding games for tens of hours. The crash is 100% random.

CPU core temps are from 32-47 Celcius idle not doing much
GPU temp is 38-44 Celcius idle not doing much

Also stable on around 75 Celcius with Furmark!

I've checked all the cables and found no problems with the connections!

Also when I watch HBO pause it , turn the screen off and back on it's all green so I have to replug the HDMI (Not sure if this also adds more reason to swap my GPU out).

Checked around in my BIOS and Turbo Mode was enabled overclocking the cpu to 3800 and the DRAM somewhat. I have reset BIOS settings and made sure the Turbo Mode is disabled. Now the PC makes almost 0 sound idle. Could this be the problem giving me the random crashes? I will update to see if there occurs any more crashes. (Still crashes :()

Memtest86 Summary:

Time: 3:24:49
Tests passed: 54/54 / 100%

Don't think there is anything with my memory. Could let it go longer but seems goods.

Waiting for my new Corsair HX750i 750W PSU to see if it helps.

New PSU installed. Still crashes!

Tried to underclock my GPU to check if the problem still persists. (Still does)

Ordered ASUS GeForce GTX 1080Ti ROG Strix Gaming. Been running fine for 4 days without crash now. All seems good.

T-K

Commendable
Apr 10, 2017

The memtest was 100% so can't be the ram? but I could try taking out one stick tomorrow and check like the 1st link.

Also I've read the last one about CPU before and couldnt find the settings in my bio to upper voltage. Such a messy bios. Also I have Intel and not AMD so idk.

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

It could be faulty RAM modules on your video card however, just keep the buying a new card option open. Bythe way How long have had that AMD Radeon R9 200 / HD 7900 Series card?

T-K

Commendable
Apr 10, 2017

It's almost 5 years old. Didnt realize I got it such a long time ago.

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

Yeah, I think it's time for you to buy a new card but I know the Exact card name to know what type of card it is. I'm going to send you a link to a program called speccy It should tell you what type of R9 200 you have.

Speccy
https://www.piriform.com/speccy

But, please do test the RAM sticks one at a time and let me know what turns up.

T-K

Commendable
Apr 10, 2017

I know the full name. Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 Ghz Vapor X 3GB

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

And you bought this card 5 years ago have tried calling Sapphire to see if they can help? I'm going to try to get Rogue Leader help you out again (if he 'll help out.)

T-K

Commendable
Apr 10, 2017
It has been in use for about 5 years Yeah.

Now I've went into Global Overdrive to check if underclocking my card will help.
On standard the Global overdrive says GPU Clock is on 1100 MHz and Memory clock on 1500 MHz. Im not sure if this is the standard without overdrive.

What would be a good Mhz on both for underclocking? I've set gpu to 850MHz and Memory to 1050Mhz and added +5 on powercontrol just to see. I don't really need much power from it on games atm and wouldnt hurt to check if it might helps.

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

I'm not a GPU expert so I don't know.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
If memtest passed 100% before its not the memory. CPUs have like a 0.05% failure rate, its highly unlikely its your cpu.

A 5 year old GPU, while unlikely is by far the least unlikely cause of the problem. If its a defect and its crashing at any time not just under gaming underclocking it is not going to do anything for you.

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

They what it is then the motherboard? I'm all out of ideas here.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Its the GPU or the motherboard. I'd say a 5 year old GPU is most likely of the two. I would replace it.

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

This could be a problem with in a problem, he replaced the old PSU with a new one and the GSOD problem shows up. What if something happens if he replaces the old GPU with a new one and he's PC still goes down. But your right he could try that.

He should get something like this:
EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 GAMING, 02G-P4-6150-KR, 2GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487295

But, I don't know he could be an ATi/AMD person.

T-K

Commendable
Apr 10, 2017
The GPU runs everything very good but I'm tired of the loud fans and AMD. I guess my plan now is to buy a 1080Ti in september.

If the problem continues then I have to change motherboard but then it will get kinda tricky I think. Because my motherboard P9X79 LE only support DDR3 and is a 2011-socket. The new 2011 motherboards support DDR4 and is a 2011-v3. So I'm not sure if my CPU will work since it's v3? But my RAM would need upgrade anyways since it's DDR3. So if changing GPU doesnt help.. I would then have to change all the rest if I'm getting it correctly. Anyways hopefully this wont happen

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

Well, Most of the 1080 Ti are well Pricey some cost $600-$1,000, not my opinion. But, try buying a card that not too pricey unless you have the cash of course. Check with ASUS to see if the CPU Socket is backwards Compatible With your CPU.

T-K

Commendable
Apr 10, 2017

I've been putting some money off for the 1080Ti already. So i'll just see how it goes from there when I get it in september.

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

So, he would need a new motherboard, RAM, and an New CPU. Which would cost a pretty penny if I do say so myself?

Ok, keep us update when you buy it.

T-K

Commendable
Apr 10, 2017
Have ordered ASUS GeForce GTX 1080Ti ROG Strix Gaming. Sadly it has been some issues with my account on the store page so kinda messed their system up :p so have to wait a little until they fix it :l

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

Ok no problem just wait it out.

T-K

Commendable
Apr 10, 2017
It's installed and been running fine for 4 days without crash, guess the problem is solved. Now I just need buy a new big 240 cpu watercooler because this small i got is loud af on 3000+ rpm while playing and 2,2k+ idle. Thanks all!

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

No problem, Glad to help you let us know if you're still having problems.