Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Specs:
Asus P5N-E SLI mobo
Intel Q6600 Quad Core Processor
4X1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 RAM
Nvidia 260GTX (EVGA)
630W PSU (Raidmax Volcano)
570 GB HDD (2X Western Digital, 250 IDE, 320 SATA)
Windows XP 32-bit

I've been having countless problems with my rig lately. Most recently, I had an overheating video card that I THOUGHT was crashing my computer. I've just now upgraded, but I'm still experiencing crashes.

They appear to only occur when I boot a game. Only on a very rare occasion will it crash during basic use (internet and whatnot). However, I have tried playing Crysis (to play on my new card), and it starts and plays just fine. Right before it goes out I get a bluescreen flashed at me very quickly, and it proceeds to restart. On reboot I'm presented with "Windows has recovered from a serious error" message.

I have noticed a bit of a correlation, though. Apps I run off of my SATA hard drive appear to crash. While nothing usually happens on the IDE.

My temps are relatively hot, but have decreased dramatically with my new card.

Could this be a power problem? I find it weird that Crysis would run perfectly it it was due to the PSU... Any ideas? Thanks! :)

Sertac

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
im saying its your PSU(maybe im wrong) its because you got a massive gpu there and a quad core. so try some research about your gpu temp and get a psu for that, oh ye get cooling to reduce heat. hope i helped

tehsn1p3r

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
I'd agree that it might be the PSU, but like I said, it ran Crysis for an hour with no problems. If it was the PSU, I figure something would have happened there. I'm looking into a slot cooler to help me cool down a bit.

Another thing, the minimum PSU wattage for my GPU is 550W, so I think I should be fine... :??:

Sertac

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
research more and if no help try underclocking your computers gpu, see if that helps. if it does then its most likely your GPU power need at a normal state.

tehsn1p3r

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

Of course. I've got 2 80mm and one 120mm in there. It's not THAT hot. just over 50*C, for both the CPU and GPU. I've also got the 260's fan up to 75% speed. I can post screens from OCCT later on.

Another flaw with the PSU assumption is that this was happening with my old card (8800GT) too. So, unless there are real problems with the PSU itself, the card shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Not too mention that the PSU has run flawlessly for almost 2 years now.

Sertac

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
ok i've done research about your PSU, and other people and some of them that have your psu had a overheat problem with the 250GTS so i think you should get a different PSU maybe a 750W from like ANTEC or coolermaster. but still research

tehsn1p3r

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

Naw, it's cooled down nicely since the speed's gone up. Like I said, it's not dangerously hot or anything. I'm going to go take a look into some other PSU's and whatnot now. Thanks for the help.

I'm not with the problem computer right now, but I'm going to disable the auto-restart and check the BSOD. Not looking forward to spending more money on another PSU, but I guess if that's what I need...

tehsn1p3r

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Totally solved my own problem. My RAM had 2 different clocks in the same channel. It was accidental, because of the timing between my purchases... but now I feel like an idiot. Thanks for all the help! :)