[SOLVED] Random crashing, both to desktop and whole system after CPU upgrade

Oct 14, 2022
Went from 9600k to 12600k about 3 months ago.
I leave games running for weeks until beat them. I just put the computer to sleep.
Before upgrading I played “rdr2” and “ac: origins” rarely exiting the games and never crashing. Since upgrading I have played “death stranding” and “Spider-Man: remastered” both cashing very randomly. In a 3 hour gaming session there could be 0-3 crashes. The whole game of Spider-Man was about 20 crashes happening from 5min-5hr. Usually just crashes to desktop, but sometime the whole system would freeze.

Have newest mobo bios. Have newest gpu driver. CPU and gpu temps both stay below 70c.

I’m a little worried about the open box mobo. Is my psu big enough? Should I go to windows 11?

System: windows 10
CPU: i5-12600k
MOBO: Asrock z690 phantom gaming (open box)
GPU: Evga 3080 ftw3
PSU: Corsair rm750
RAM: 16Gb Corsair vengeance lpx ddr4 3200

Last edited:
Reactions: Imperial_Hal
Solution
Definitely. I have the same issue as u. I have an i5 7400 paired with a MSI GTX 970. Games just randomly crash to desktop. I tried reinstalling a fresh copy of Windows but that solved the problem of BSOD. I installed Windows 10 1909 last Sunday and I only one BSOD while playing Plague Tale Innocence. I also play AC Valhalla and Far Cry 6 at 1080p. Medium settings but they crashed like max 0-3 times. FC6 crashes like once every 2hr session. GPU temps generally go from 60-65C max.

Been doing tons of research but didn’t find a fix yet.
My Specs:-

i5 7400
Asus H110M-A/M.2 Motherboa
8GB 2400Mhz Kingston (4x2)
MSI Gaming GTX 970
Corsair VS550 80+ White PSU
My issue seams to be solved after doing these steps:
Install DDU.
Download...
Went from 9600k to 12600k about 3 months ago.
I leave games running for weeks until beat them. I just put the computer to sleep.
Before upgrading I played “rdr2” and “ac: origins” rarely exiting the games and never crashing. Since upgrading I have played “death stranding” and “Spider-Man: remastered” both cashing very randomly. In a 3 hour gaming session there could be 0-3 crashes. The whole game of Spider-Man was about 20 crashes happening from 5min-5hr. Usually just crashes to desktop, but sometime the whole system would freeze.

Have newest mobo bios. Have newest gpu driver. CPU and gpu temps both stay below 70c.

I’m a little worried about the open box mobo. Is my psu big enough? Should I go to windows 11?

System: windows 10
CPU: i5-12600k
MOBO: Asrock z690 phantom gaming (open box)
GPU: Evga 3080 ftw3
PSU: Corsair rm750
RAM: 16Gb Corsair vengeance lpx ddr4 3200
I would be looking at a quality 850w or even a 1000w psu.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
I ran furmark and cinebenchr20 on loop for 30 minutes with no instability. I don’t think this is a psu issue.

Did you clear CMOS after bios update?

Also, yes, it could potentially be a PSU issue. Although that would be more random restarts. However, something to note is the RTX3xxx transient loads, which often trip overprotections on a psu as the sudden spikes in power, some even reputable PSU's (as your is) don't handle that very well. I'm not necessarily syaing the RM model is one of those. The RMX are particularly good with those transient power spikes.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2022
Did you clear CMOS after bios update?

Also, yes, it coyuld potentially be a PSU. Although that would be more random restarts. However, something to note is the RTX3xxx transient loads, which often trip overprotections on a psu as the sudden spikes in power, some even reputable PSU's (as your is) don't handle that very well. The RMX ar eparticularly good with those transient power spikes.
I did not clear cmos.
I used the 3080 for a year before upgrading with no issues. Crashing only stated after cpu upgrade. Seams unlikely that is part of the problem.

I did not clear cmos.
I used the 3080 for a year before upgrading with no issues. Crashing only stated after cpu upgrade. Seams unlikely that is part of the problem.

Try CMOS clear.

Hmmm, on the PSU, you ask if it's big enough, yet dismiss any suggestion of the PSU either being the problem or part of the problem. Curious! What your PSU was doing before the upgrade is different to what it's doing now. We can't rule this out just yet.

Have you tested your ram? Do that with memtest 86+ outside of windows.

Try uninstalling your GPU drivers with DDU (in safe mode). Then reinstall them fresh.

Oct 14, 2022
Try CMOS clear.

Hmmm, on the PSU, you ask if it's big enough, yet dismiss any suggestion of the PSU either being the problem or part of the problem. Curious! What your PSU was doing before the upgrade is different to what it's doing now. We can't rule this out just yet.

Have you tested your ram? Do that with memtest 86+ outside of windows.

Try uninstalling your GPU drivers with DDU (in safe mode). Then reinstall them fresh.
I will try these things.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Oct 20, 2022
I ran furmark and cinebenchr20 on loop for 30 minutes with no instability. I don’t think this is a psu issue.

Definitely. I have the same issue as u. I have an i5 7400 paired with a MSI GTX 970. Games just randomly crash to desktop. I tried reinstalling a fresh copy of Windows but that solved the problem of BSOD. I installed Windows 10 1909 last Sunday and I only one BSOD while playing Plague Tale Innocence. I also play AC Valhalla and Far Cry 6 at 1080p. Medium settings but they crashed like max 0-3 times. FC6 crashes like once every 2hr session. GPU temps generally go from 60-65C max.

i5 7400
MSI Gaming GTX 970

Oct 20, 2022
Definitely. I have the same issue as u. I have an i5 7400 paired with a MSI GTX 970. Games just randomly crash to desktop. I tried reinstalling a fresh copy of Windows but that solved the problem of BSOD. I installed Windows 10 1909 last Sunday and I only got one BSOD while playing Plague Tale Innocence. I also play AC Valhalla and Far Cry 6 at 1080p. Medium settings but they crashed like max 0-3 times. FC6 crashes like once every 2hr session. GPU temps generally go from 60-65C max.

i5 7400
Asus H110M-A/M.2 Motherboard
MSI Gaming GTX 970

Btw..! The BSOD I got while playing Plague Tale Innocence was “PAGE FILE IN NON PAGED AREA” something. This is the only game which crashes MULTIPLE times while having a very stable performance.

Oct 14, 2022

i5 7400
MSI Gaming GTX 970
Install DDU.
Download latest nvidia drivers but don’t install yet.
Update MOBO bios.
Install latest MOBO drivers.
Start windows in safe mode.
Run DDU. Make sure to turn off automatic driver updates.
Install nvidia driver.
restart windows in normal mode.
Update Gpu firmware.
Hopefully this will help.

Last edited:
Solution
Oct 20, 2022
Install DDU.
Download latest nvidia drivers but don’t install yet.
Update MOBO bios.
Install latest MOBO drivers.
Start windows in safe mode.
Run DDU. Make sure to turn off automatic driver updates.
Install nvidia driver.
restart windows in normal mode.
Update Gpu firmware.
Hopefully this will help.

I’ll try this and see. I reinstalled latest graphics drivers by using DDU but not on the safe mode. Currently I have the drivers which got automatically installed when I reinstalled Windows 10 Pro. Will update u if this works. Btw my BIOS is really outdated. Maybe that’s why…