Question RANDOM CRASHING + BSOD - CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101)

sketcheyes

Reputable
Aug 21, 2019
Hi. I just got a new custom built PC, and have been occasionally experiencing BSOD's with this main error code in the minidump file. All drivers are up to date. Ran a Windows Memory Diagnostic and found no issues. Windows is completely updated. Motherboard updated as well (tried resetting bios as well), and no OC settings are turned on in BIOS. I can also upload the Minidump file. Running the game will either - randomly restart my PC, give BSOD (rare) or the game will just randomly crash and I will be back to my desktop (Most often occurrence)

Minidump file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Anl-qcKborHIgWzz_RKWVioI8OmF?e=c1jxCq

Hi. I just got a new custom built PC, and have been occasionally experiencing BSOD's with this main error code in the minidump file. All drivers are up to date. Ran a Windows Memory Diagnostic and found no issues. Windows is completely updated. Motherboard updated as well (tried resetting bios as well), and no OC settings are turned on in BIOS. I can also upload the Minidump file. Running the game will either - randomly restart my PC, give BSOD (rare) or the game will just randomly crash and I will be back to my desktop (Most often occurrence)

It's a new custom build...this honestly seems a problem you should take to the builder.

But if you want to try and fix it yourself: what are the components? motherboard, CPU, memory, PSU, GPU especially but drives, case and cooling: CPU cooler, case fans.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023

Is there a chance of of a bug or corruption in the game software? Try running some other software that is just as demanding of the hardware as your current program is. That might give a clue as to what's happening.
DaleH

sketcheyes

Reputable
Aug 21, 2019
It has only ever happened during the launch or load of a game. It has happened in multiple games, not just one. It has not happened outside of gaming. It has never happened while I was actively playing the game, it usually happens during the launch of the game, or loading into the game/server, or even changing video settings.

two more dump files:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Anl-qcKborHIgXjHNo1nDH7Xc00b?e=Mq14fu

screenshot of driver verifier query: https://1drv.ms/i/s!Anl-qcKborHIgXuqt8uiGpAjhOuM?e=GmerqY

wow 32 cpus but I can not read the bios info from the dump. Could not read the time out but it was very fast (6 clock ticks) this would mean that the tiime out is likely communications from one cpu to another. ie hung cpu core.

to debug, you need to change the memory dump type to kernel, wait for next crash, then upload the memory.dmp file. It will contain the correct debug info for this problem.

note:
-common reason for me not to be able to read bios from a dump would be very old bios version installed on the machine.

-common reason for this bugcheck would be a plug and play attempting to install a driver on one cpu core while something is attempting to use the driver on another core. (if the install on the first core fails for some reason then the second core calls a bugcheck thinking the first core has failed. Generally, in control panel, device manger you would see a caution Icon next to the failed device install.

debugger can read the proper info on a kernel dump.

z790 motherboard, I should be able to read proper dump info.

i would not install asus armory crate. disable in bios.

update the bios to the current version or reset the bios to defaults and disable armory crate and reboot.

Last edited:
Reactions: sketcheyes

sketcheyes

Reputable
Aug 21, 2019
wow 32 cpus but I can not read the bios info from the dump. Could not read the time out but it was very fast (6 clock ticks) this would mean that the tiime out is likely communications from one cpu to another. ie hung cpu core.

to debug, you need to change the memory dump type to kernel, wait for next crash, then upload the memory.dmp file. It will contain the correct debug info for this problem.

note:
-common reason for me not to be able to read bios from a dump would be very old bios version installed on the machine.

-common reason for this bugcheck would be a plug and play attempting to install a driver on one cpu core while something is attempting to use the driver on another core. (if the install on the first core fails for some reason then the second core calls a bugcheck thinking the first core has failed. Generally, in control panel, device manger you would see a caution Icon next to the failed device install.

debugger can read the proper info on a kernel dump.

z790 motherboard, I should be able to read proper dump info.

i would not install asus armory crate. disable in bios.

update the bios to the current version or reset the bios to defaults and disable armory crate and reboot.

Bios Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. 0812, 2/24/2023

How can I change the memory dump type to kernel? Also, armory crate is not installed. Thank you for your advice as well.

Done. Here is a link to the file: MEMORY.DMP

Also, it says OS name: Windows 10 on the dmp file but I am on Windows 11. Don't know if there is any relevance to the problem but just wanted to state it.
memory dump file was corrupted and not usable.
system was up for 15 minutes.

you might google how to force a memory dump using the keyboard,
make the registry settings and force a memory dump on the working system before it crashes. I can take a look at it and see if there is something wrong with your hardware.

you could also test your drive to make sure it is working ok.
generally, you would make sure you have updated your storage divers and chipset drivers. (maybe the firmware for ssd)

maybe, go into bios and reset it to defaults if it has already been updated. turn off any overclock, or asus ai tuning, set the memory profile.

sketcheyes

Reputable
Aug 21, 2019
Brought PC back to the store, asked for help. They ran a couple of diagnostics and found no issues. I didn't trust them so I just returned the PC and got a prebuilt and currently have no issues. No resolution thus far, however resolution is not needed for me personally anymore.

TRENDING THREADS