random crashing from windows start to 72+ hours since start.

Feb 10, 2019
Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help me with this problem.
I have seen that someone else has posted a similar thread but since this system isn't new and this problem started out of the blue, I thought it would be best to start a new thread.

About 10-12 months ago my PC started to restart without shutting down. Until yesterday I had never seen any error code. I feel a little foolish now since I can't remember the specific code wording but it was along the lines of driver_power_failure or some such thing.

After doing a little reading it seemed to be related to power settings... not sure how on a desktop but I followed the instructions listed. This proved to be wrong as this morning, when I turned on my computer, it did exactly the same thing again. As soon as I logged into windows, BSOD and restart.

Now, the normal issue is that I can be doing a variety of things, usually gaming, and the display goes blank, the computer is still functioning at this point because I have time to tell my gaming partner that I am crashing. Moments later, the whole system restarts without shutting down.
I have read many forums which all seem to say the same thing, that it indicates out of date graphics card drivers. Updating has never made a blind bit of difference.

Here is my system details:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H (v1.0)
■ BIOS updated to v. f11a (latest one available)
■ On board Realtek ALC887 audio

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz (Quad Core)

Video: Gigabyte GV-N960G1 Gaming-2GD (nVidia GTX960)
(A BIOS update was required to use this device)
(I use two large displays, 1 HDMI and 1 DVI. removing one of the displays makes no difference)

RAM: 16GB Corsair DDR3

PSU: Corsair 850w Modular (can't remember the specific model name)

Audio devices: Steelseries Arctis Pro with Game Digital Audio Controller (GameDAC)

Drives:
■ 128GB SSD
■ 320GB SATA
■ 1TB SATA (appears to have failed)
■ Bluray BDROM/DVD R/W

If there are any other details about my system that are required, please let me know.

I usually build my systems to last for about 5 years before replacing. This one was due replacing in 2015 but money has been ridiculously tight and I simply can't afford to replace the big parts (CPU and Motherboard). I have replaced parts as and when I could such as the graphics card, PSU, SSD, Bluray Drive.

The problems started about 6-7 months after I replaced the PSU, though I don't see how this could be due to that unless it is literally stopping power output, but that would (I think) stop the entire system at once rather than the staggered restart that is occurring.

While waiting for a response on this forum, I'm going to experiment with disabling some components that I don't use such as the built in audio, built in graphics etc. I believe i have tried this before but the post I read earlier said to try it so I'll do it again.

I think I have laid this out as specified in the forum rules, please advise me if I have missed anything or need to change how I put hings on.

Many thanks in advance for your help..

Matt.

Feb 10, 2019

[strike]My PSU. Corsair RM850X.
That was almost a year ago though, if not more.[/strike] The BSOD only started yesterday, previous to that it just restarted without shutting down as described above.
Thinking about it.... I installed the SSD and the BluRay drive after the PSU

Feb 10, 2019
could it simply be due to the age of the motherboard?
it wasn't a "latest thing" when I bought it. That plus the fact I had to flash the BIOS to fix compatibility problems with the PCI/e slot and my graphics card...
Since disabling the on board audio, crashes occurred more frequently. I don't understand why, perhaps it is pure coincidence. I have re-enabled the on board audio and while crashes still occur, it does seem less frequent (only once so far today after the initial start-up and log-on) compared to the multitude of crashes last night alone!
If it is just because of the age and therefor incompatibility of components, I'll have to live with it, it will be some time before replacement is an option unfortunately. I just hope that there is a technical reason for it other than "the gear is too old and rubbish".