[SOLVED] random data RAID setup

Nov 14, 2018
HD with OS bit it. Bought and replaced. Installed OS with RAID still active in the bios. I'm unable to access the drive, windows keeps saying I need to format. CAD software/dongle/licenses etc. are on the RAID 0 and I REEEEALLY don't want to format it.
How do I get win to recognize the drive without having to format.

Same mobo, same raid raptor hdd's, same everything except os hd.

Solution
While it is remotely possible that just changing SATA port could work, they should be used as they were initially before the OS drive failure. Also, try running the free TestDsk as it will occasionally allow recognition.

And yeah, if you ever get the data back -- back it up since any bios hiccup or update can break motherboard RAID.

RealBeast

Titan
If you cannot get disk management to recognize the drives as RAID 0 then there are a few different recovery tools that you can try, but to actually recover you may need to buy the full version. Take a look at Raid Reconstructor and ReclaiMe.

On the bright side, now you know why RAID 0 and generally any form of motherboard based RAID is not good for storing important data, especially without backup.

Nov 14, 2018
That's the thing. DM sees it, healthy, active, primary partition. Intel RST sees it "SATA_Array_0000 Type: RAID 0. Yet clicking on the drive in the file explorer tells me I need to format... Lighter fluid is rapidly becoming my next option.

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
LOL I like your lighter fluid comment :)

but yea I ran an RAID 0 system WAY back and it died and it took me a year to get a program that could recover the data.. so NEVER did that again.. I ALWAYS run RAID 10 now if I do raid.. or if I only have 2 drives I do mirroring (raid 1)

USAFRet

Titan

This is specifically why we harp on backups around here.

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I have seen that before as it could simply be one drive got partly corrupted.. so its not working like it should and lost its .. memory.. for a lack of better terms being I don't remember the technical term for it.. maybe like amnesia.. forgetting it has data.. OR like you say you changed the OS drive? I had an issue back in the windows XP era that I setup a raid array (I seen the issue before I actually used it) but it created the MBR or whatever on my main drive and NOT the RAID array.. it was super wierd.. I was going to move some stuff over to the new setup and when I did (I had just copied info) and unplugged the drive I was replacing it didn't work.. then I seen some reason when I formatted the drive it created a small parition on the main drive instead of the raid array.. I only had that issue once though and never had it happen after like XP SP2 or something like that.

USAFRet

Titan

OK, confused.
This RAID 0 is on two physical drives?

It seemed from your original that it was one physical drive, just that the BIOS was in a RAID 0 mode.

Nov 14, 2018
Click to open (F:). "you need to format" I the click cancel. "F:\ is not accessible. The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted."

RealBeast

Titan
While it is remotely possible that just changing SATA port could work, they should be used as they were initially before the OS drive failure. Also, try running the free TestDsk as it will occasionally allow recognition.

And yeah, if you ever get the data back -- back it up since any bios hiccup or update can break motherboard RAID.

Solution