Random Disconnection, Running Outta Ideas

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I have 4 computers running off ethernet and 2 mobile devices on WiFi, everything runs through a Linksys E1200 router bridges to the ISP's modem.

About 6 weeks ago, I updated the firmware, and a few days later the trouble started, so assumed Firmware related but doesn't seem the case.

Basically, I'll have a solid/steady 9.4Mbps connection, no ups/downs, just a solid 9.4Mbps or nothing at all. Every 2-3 days however, it says no internet connection. Most of the time I can't even access the router through my browser (192.168.1.1 if I recall, I have it bookmarked). So immediately figured, router issue with firmware. So I downgraded the firmware and same issue.

I then blew away my network card from device manager and let it reinstall with no change. That's when I noticed it happened to everyone not just me, so not PC specific.

So, I unwrapped a new network cable to go between the router/modem, same issue.

Disconnected the router and put my old Linksys in it's place to see if a router issue, maybe over heating, and few days later same deal.

Called the ISP, and I swapped the modem for a new one... few days later same thing.

The only way to fix it is to yank the power from the router, plug it back and let it reconnect. But again, tried 2 routers, same deal. Rebooting the modem only affects nothing. Also, no lights on either device showing an issue.

ISP said that the router seems to keep re-requesting a new IP from the modem. I think over 2 days it did it 24 times or something. I told them that I set up the router based on the instructions we got 8yrs ago when we got their DSL, maybe settings changed, they said no... but offered no insight regarding the router requesting an IP constantly.

Last summer I had issues, and they said the same thing... router keeps asking for a new IP, and tried blaming the hardware, but, ended up being a blade in their server that was flakey. They plugged us into a new blade and no issues for a year. So, not sure if the constant IP requests are an issue or not because my router settings never changed.

So, I reinstalled the E1200, flashed the firmware again, did a hard reset, and 2 days later it cut out mid-use again.

ISP isn't helpful... I'm outta ideas. Anyone have any thoughts?

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

theoretically, router requesting a new IP address should not be a problem.

take screenshots of your router's WAN and LAN settings and post it here, also run ipconfig /all on one of your workstations and post the results here.