Random DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION on a new ryzen build

Nov 16, 2018
Hello people,

Recently I built my first gaming PC (Specs in the end) but I have one problem that I can't resolve for a few months now.

I randomly get BSOD with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION error code stuck at 0%, even worse there is no dump files, I tried different dump configurations with no luck so I have to go blind with this.

I tried the following approaches in this order:

I tried reinstalling windows and updating, still the same problem.

Then I found the first problem, it was my evo 970 ssd , I have two m.2 slots on my mobo and the one I was using only supporting sata :/ , I thought I fixed it by moving my ssd to the correct m.2 supporting nvme but still no luck.

Second approach was to check the ram, I ran memtest86 for about 8 or so hours and about 4 passes with no error at all, so I believe ram is not the problem (I bought it after checking the mobo's qvl).

Third approach was checking all drivers installed and updating them, I used Driver Booster from Iobit and updated all old drivers found, still BSOD happening.

Fourth approach was checking IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, and checking the standard SATA AHCI controller, my driver is listed to be storahci.sys, some resources say that it should list iastor.sys and some say its not fully supported by windows 10. I have no clue so left it as it is.

Fifth was running system file checker (sfc /scannow), result was it found some corrupted files and repaired it, still testing if the BSOD was fixed by this or not but I doubt it.

I don't know what else to try so I'm open to any suggestions

SPECS:
Asus prime x470-pro mobo.
Ryzen 5 1600 (stock)
Gigabyte gtx 1060 G1 gaming v2.
HyperX Fury 16GB (2400 mHZ stock, 8x2, HX424C15FB2K2/16 )
Samsung 970 evo (with windows 10 installed)
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM010 1TB

google, how to force a memory dump using a keyboard, make the registry changes and then force a memory dump while the system is working. for a timeout problem you should set your memory dump type to kernel and provide the kernel memory dump c:\windows\memory.dmp

for some problems a standard minidump will be ok. from c:\windows\minidump directory.

anyway, force a memory dump, put it on a cloud server, share it for public access and post a link.

for the sata driver, Microsoft makes a generic version and intel has a custom version with their own extensions and features. windows update does not update the intel version, you have to install the updates yourself. the Microsoft version gets updated with windows update. (I would use the Microsoft version just since there are less problems, the intel version tends to want to rename your drive letters on you)

if you get a bugcheck, you should provide the memory dump. (kernel dump is best for a timeout problem) the second parameter has a timeout value in hex, each piece of hardware will have different timeout values that can give a clue to what device did not respond.

generally, it is a bad idea to use a generic driver update program. Some drivers are customized to your motherboard bios. You should try and get your drivers from the motherboard vendors website as a first fix attempt. use the driver update programs for old motherboards that the vendor does not update the driver for.

make sure you have space on your drive for memory dump, make sure you have virtual memory turned on for your c:\pagefile.sys

certain old devices put on usb ports can cause a timeout (various bugs)

very common for graphic cards to get messed up because of a conflict between the motherboard audio driver and the GPU sound support driver for hdmi or displayport.
(be sure to check to see if there is a motherboard sound driver update)

- you should also remove any gpu and cpu overclock drivers
- make sure your system is not overheated.

new amd cpu builds must have the BIOS update, a chipset driver update to work correctly (various bug fixes in the cpu microcode)

if you already installed the amd cpu chipset drivers, you might have to remove them with the amd chipset cleanup utility before you install the new drivers.
having mixed driver versions just causes various strange problems.

Nov 16, 2018

Thanks for your answer, but how does a forced memory dump while the system is working help diagnosing the issue?

about the sata driver, I made sure that I'm using the Microsoft one.

virtual memory is turned on with enough space on my drive and initial size set to double my ram size.

will check for driver updates from the providers, will not use third party updaters.

will update with any new findings, thanks again.

a forced memory minidump, will still show overclock drivers and old driver versions. it will also let me check the bios and some hardware info. a forced kernel memory dump will also include info on the plug and play system, and USB but it will also include the internal error logs that can show problems way before the system would actually bugcheck.

The debugger can look at both memory dumps and check to see if your core windows files have been modified (by malware)
kernel dumps provide a lot more debug info than a minidump.

Nov 16, 2018

Sorry for the late reply, I was out of town the past week.

here is the link after the forced memory dump:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1jchLKPzjkG8G4afphMI43Kmj-3JYaaJP?usp=sharing

the debugger does not like either of your memory dumps.
I would scan for rootkits. or I would download a new windows image on a different machine and do a clean install.
I looked at an dump like this before, just never figured out why it was so odd. like info was being hidden.
maybe something to do with your download manager and vpn. I could not use the debugger to verifiy your files in memory.
debugger indicated the nt kernel was modified and several key windows files had the chksums removed.

it looks like a new machine, make sure you have installed the motherboard chipset drivers.
I would make sure the windows image is from a good source.

sorry, I can not be of more help.

TRENDING THREADS