Question Random FPS drops in League of Legends

GvP

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2013
Hello all,

I am experiencing random FPS drops in League of Legends and I am not seeing issues in any other games or programs. I have only been seeing issues since Patch 10.25, which was about eight days ago or so as of the date of this post. What happens is my FPS drops to 0 (the game constantly displays FPS rate) and then the game client (Full Window) freezes for an eternity. By the time it catches up, I am dead, and I am still unable to do anything in the client. I can't end task it, I can't close it easily, and I just end up restarting the computer because nothing seems to work. It has been so bad I have gotten an in-game penalty and I am scared to play the game now.

I thought at first it was my video card, because I have had video cards start to fail before, but I am also wondering if it is my hard drive (perhaps it is both). I ran CrystalDiskInfo and my OS drive came up with a Caution, stating 48 instances of C5/C6 (Current Pending Sector Count and Uncorrectable Sector Count).

DMaePKS.png

I am going to run a backup of the files on the drive then run SeaTools to see if I can recover anything, then use an old 500 GB SSD if I can and reimage it.

Is it possible the issues I am having are only hard drive related? The whole computer is rather old at this point but I have never had these issues until the last week (the computer itself is about 7 years old part by part!). How can I better test the GPU to see if it is failing? I ran the Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0 on highest settings and got a miserable score of 652. Or is it possible there are other issues at hand?

I also am curious about how in League you can take a screenshot with the F12 button, but when I do that my FPS drops to 0 for a few seconds without fail. Is that normal for people who play League? I tried to search but didn't see anything at first glance.

MB: ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 R
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)
CPU: AMD 8-CORE FX-8350 4.0G 8M R
DRIVE: Seagate 2TB Desktop SSHD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST2000DX001)
GPU: VGA MSI N660 GAMING 2GD5/OC R
PSU: Corsair CX750 Builder Series ATX 80 PLUS Bronze Certified Power Supply

Please let me know what else I may provide. Thank you all very much!

GvP

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2013
Hm. Well, no one seemed to respond to me on any of the places I looked for help online, so I just read up on other threads the best I could for awhile and I decided to replace the drive with a clean OS and I bought a new video card. If anyone has any additional thoughts I would be pleased to consider them!!

My current setup is running fine with the following:

MB: ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 R
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)
CPU: AMD 8-CORE FX-8350 4.0G 8M R
DRIVE: Samsung 860 SSD (500 GB)
GPU: MSI GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB

PSU: Corsair CX750 Builder Series ATX 80 PLUS Bronze Certified Power Supply